• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nov photo assignment. The Golden Hour

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
As most of you who are into photography know, usually the best time to shoot photos is in what is often called "The golden hour" which is usually a couple of hours just after the sun rises and a couple of hours before it sets.

This months assignment you should use that as a guide.

Photos need to be taken in the month of November.

Photos using your jeep as a subject or used as a means to get you to the place you shot your photo is a good idea.

The Golden Hour isn't just about sunsets. When the sun is low in the sky it gives excellent side lighting that brings out texture and shape much better than when it is high overhead. The light is also a warmer color which I like for people photos. At twilight when the sun is just below the horizon but the sky is lit you will have a much softer, but still somewhat directional light that is lower in contrast. The color of that light will vary from really blue from a clear sky to orange or red if you have a lot of clouds. Go ahead and take your sunset photos but look around you to see what the light is doing to nearby subjects... jeeps, people, landscapes. :)

Where I come from the Golden hour is the first hour after an injury/accident. Would you like some nice pix of blood and gore? :laugh:

Unfortunately I haven't been traveling as much, or been able to get out and about like I used to. But I'll do what I can.

Northfields2010_01.jpg

> Right before the sun went behind the mountains (1/2 hour before sunset)
> Taken last week on Nov 4th
< wasn't able to involve a Jeep though :(

- Shot in Program Auto, monochrome, exp bias at -1, raw + jpeg
- using the jpeg file and Gimp 2 post production consisted of moderate levels adjustments, resizing & saving for the web, a light sharpening via unsharp mask, and saving again.
c&c welcome.

Thanks for your comments Jake!

I'll take a stab at it Jared. It is a beautiful photo in need of a strong foreground element. Too bad there wasn't a elk or a horse in that field! How about cropping down to the two glowing trees and a little bit of the fence at the bottom of the frame? I love the way golden leaves are rendered in black n white. Is that the subject here?

Where I come from the Golden hour is the first hour after an injury/accident. Would you like some nice pix of blood and gore? :laugh:

That's what I'd first thought - I'd heard of that "Golden Hour" much more often than the photographer's "Golden Hour."

Just shows, I suppose, that there can still be language barriers among people all speaking the same language!:shhh::read:

I was a few minutes early for what I consider the Golden Hour but I was rapidly running out of moon. Some people consider this a Blue Moon as it is the third out of four full moons this season. The next full moon will be a red one as it will be totally eclipsed.
orig.jpg

A difference of just a few minutes gave much nicer light... the Golden Hour.
orig.jpg

You've seriously got to stop that.

Looks good though.

Hey, with good light you don't need a good camera to make good photos. The moon shot took my D700, 70-200mm f2.8 lens and considerable time with Photoshop to bring the foreground exposure up to match the moon. I am still not satisfied with the result. I plan on trying it again on a morning when the moon sets just after sunrise, instead of before as in this case. The WJ poser shot is straight out of my pocket cam - no adjustments needed. I think that is Ryan's point here. Light is everything.

I think that is Ryan's point here. Light is everything.

:thumbup: I had really high hopes about getting out and shooting this month. November usually produces some really neat light with the weather but with work slamming me for the first half of the month and the last half sitting on my but recovering from surgery I haven't had the chance to do anything.

Back