• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

worthwhile beadlock alteration?

in4aride

NAXJA Forum User
so i just picked up some beadlocks.
they are 15x10 waggy wheels with 4" BS.

c5677e99.jpg

the outer ring is a replica of the spyderlock design but made of 1/4" steel.

21f45eb6.jpg

is it a worthwhile idea to weld on a couple large washers around each bolt hole to protect the bolt heads or no? if i do break the heads off the bolts they are easily replaced as the nuts are not welded to the rim, but loose on backside.

also would it look alright or just stupid?

so leave it be? or weld up some bolt protection.. :dunno:

Last edited:
I would use a conical washer rather than a flat washer, it's still going to catch the edge and want to tear them off or break the welds if it has a flat edge. you might also think about using a button head allen bolt, but it may be a pain to remove them once they have been damaged.

ya i see what you mean about the edges. i was kinda assuming the bead around the washer would prevent that.
with the cone washers, just a couple quick tacks do the trick or beads all the way around?

you can use conical bolt protection washers. they do not weld on, they are just a washer to protect the bolt head. or just do nothing which is what 99% of bead locks use.

that is what he was talking about. i think it would be worthwhile, except a washer is not conical so the washers would snag, and may break off as well. so maybe 3 different sized washers welded together and ground smooth to make a cone shape.

Ya but fir the time and effort involved to get it done and do it right I coulda just bought those.
Just gotta decide if $120 is worth it to me or not. Doesn't matter right this moment as I dont have the tires to go on em yet anyway

ok dont bust my balls to hard: how does a beadlock work. i dont understand how a ring welded to the rim holds the tire on. am i missing something.

yes. you place the outer bead to the outside of that ring and bolt an outer ring to the inner ring welded to the rim, sandwiching the tire in between the rings

so you have the bead lock rings on front and back side of the rims or only on the front. i know i sound like an idiot but i swear im not. how does the tire seal to hold the air in

generally theyre only on the outside. the inside is mounted like normal, the bead seating on the inside of the lip of the rim. popping a bead off is much more common on the outside of the tire.

Mike why don't you just counter-sink the bolts and use some flat-top allen heads?

it's not worth it to me, i just carry spare bolts just in case but i have yet to rip one off, got a few that are almost rounded from using them at traction devices :D

Back