• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Solid axle expained

Itsajeepthing51

NAXJA Forum User
Can someone explain to this somewhat mechanical Newby how my xj can have solid axles. I understand that all xj's have them, but I can't reconcile how that works with a differential for turns etc. How then as well does locking hubs play into the mix? I must be missing something here. Your help is appreciated.

i dont know what you are trying to find out.
there is one axle housing, that doesnt flex or move from its designated shape. has R&P, and two axle shafts (front technically has 4, 2 inner and 2 outer)

but im not sure that answers your questions???

Well that may be it. You tell me xj has a solid axle and I envision one solid piece of steel from hub to hub - which doesn't make sense. You see axle replacements in the catalog you get two hubs each with a half axle on them. That's what confusing me. Also what is r&p. Thanks for your help for what is probably a simple setup that I'm not comprehending. And how is it different from independent suspension?

The shafts on the front have u-joints on the end, that allow the wheels to turn.

R&P = ring and pinion = gears in the axle

independant front = IFS

each side is completely independant of one another. if one side goes up, the other side can go up or down or stay still with no influence from the other side...

with solid axle. both sides are connected. each side influences the other.

"solid axle" not solid axle shaft.

The housing (big chunk in the middle and a tube on each side) is a "solid" part where one side cannot move independent of the movement from the other side.
Solid axle just means there is a solid connection between the two ends.

See shorty's explanation...."solid" refers only to the entire axle assembly, and is a suspension rather than a driveline term. Even if each wheel were powered by its own hydraulic motor, controlled by a computer, if the left and right were mounted on a single beam or tube, you'd have a solid axle. Many front drive cars have solid axles with no driveline components in them at all. If a pair of wheels can spring up and down independently, it's independent even if they're connected by a simple flexible shaft with a sprocket in the middle.

Thanks for the help. I did go to a junkyard and compared while I was there. It finally sunk in. Seems I can grasp most things about a jeep - but the suspension eludes me. Thanks for your patience. Have a great day & keep on wheelin'!!

Back