• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clicking under my center console

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
2001 XJ automatic...

Will preface by saying, I haven't really dug into this yet...just formed some first thoughts.

Swapped in a new D30 and an 8.8 a couple weeks ago. 8.8 was used from another forum member with the same lift. Also got his driveshaft with the 8.8 adapter on it.

For the front, put in a new front drive shaft (original was rusty and u-joints were rusted in) and installed all new u-joints...all 3 of them.

Today, moved the Jeep for the first time so I could put the ZJ on that side of the garage for service.

Since I hadn't driven it with the 4.10s, I decided to run down the street and back. Halfway down the drive way I get a click-click-click that speeds up and slows down with the speed of the vehicle. The sound is directly below my center console.

First thoughts...tell me if I am in the right direction.....think the rear drive shaft didn't seat right on the yoke and is causing the clicking.

The front shaft will not spin at all in 2wd, correct? Or does it free spin? Could it be coming from the front shaft?

We didn't touch the transmission or transfer case during the swaps, with the exception of the drive shaft removal/installation.

Front shaft will spin while you're driving. Troubleshoot it by pulling that first.

Also look for contact with the grease nipples on the u-joints. I admit it's been 14 months since I last owned a Cherokee (fixed that last week) and off the top of my head I don't recall which way they're supposed to face on the CV joint - I believe they were supposed to be 'nipples out' but move it around yourself to verify.

Double-check the rear shaft yoke though while you're under and removing the front shaft. You're down there anyway. ;)

this sounds dumb but it did happen to me, check to see if your E-brake cable has slack and is rubbing on the rear DS, it clicks like crazy when that happens.

this sounds dumb but it did happen to me, check to see if your E-brake cable has slack and is rubbing on the rear DS, it clicks like crazy when that happens.

yep, sounds like a machine gun at speed

I bet that is it...I pulled out the e-brakes with the swap, and I bet it the the cable that is attached to the handle in the cab...

THanks!

Also - I've heard rumor that certain NAXJA members like to put a long ziptie around some random victim's driveshaft at night after some beer bravery...it can drive people crazy trying to track down the clicking. :D

But check the cables. Find the springs that used to hold the cables in place, and reconnect 'em.

Also - I've heard rumor that certain NAXJA members like to put a long ziptie around some random victim's driveshaft at night after some beer bravery...it can drive people crazy trying to track down the clicking. :D

But check the cables. Find the springs that used to hold the cables in place, and reconnect 'em.
Rattle snake?:viking:

X3 exactly what I came here to say, happened to me after my last trip somewhat adjusted my tranny crossmember

Works good on front axleshafts too :eyes:

Back