• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which 44?

Droopy76

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm off work today due to a kidney stone. I'm in pain and can't sleep so I decided to do some research on a future axle swap. I've been trolling for a while and I have three possible canidates for the front. What I need to know is which one will be the easiest\cheapest to swap in. I work in a garage so I have all the tools I need to do the work and also work with a couple of good welder\fabricators. Im just not sure which axle would be the "best".

Ford 5 lug DSD HP44 with the weld on wedges and warn lockouts. Didn't say what year. $300

82 Jeep J10 6 lug DSD non-disco 44 with warn lockouts. $250

78 Ford F-250 leaf sprung HP44 with internal lockouts, flat top nuckles, and twin piston calipers. $450

So what do you guy's think? The first one also has the matching 9in. rear for $100. Lay some knowledge on me.

Thanks

Droopy

You really need to decide a few things first:

1) What bolt pattern do you want? What size wheels?
2) What gearing? (One of those might already have what you need)
3) How much do you plan on spending?
4) What size tire (related to #3)
5) What steering options do you need/want?

Out of those options, either of the Fords would go well, but you need to decide on #1 before picking.

Check out Mr. N's Articles and CRASH's D44 Tech.

I was thinking I would let the front bolt pattern kinda dictate what axle I would go with for the rear. I think the 5 lug ford would be my best bet. I could get the matching rear. The guy said the ratio was 3.50. No matter which axle I use I was planning on regearing. Right now I don't plan on going any bigger than 35's. I know I could beef up the tirdy and 8.25 and get by with 35's but I don't want to have to worry all the time about how much skinny pedal I can use. As far as budget goes, I am planning on buying the axles and building them a little at a time. I can afford to spend a little each month. Then when you get done the end total isn't as harsh.

Thanks for the input

Droopy

The Ford setup with the matching 9 is probably the easiest and cleanest way to go. I run a Ford front and modified the stock radius arms and used them. It works great and was cheap. I even wristed the passengerside arm and it flexes so much you definately need limiting straps.

Since I went with the stock Ford arms, I didn't care about welded brackets so I went with the cast setup because it came with disc brakes and hubs. I left it full width and love it.

GreenDay.jpg

I've been meaning to take some pix and do a writeup. Maybe this weekend.

please do a writeup oldman! i have a '78 f-150 parts truck with those same axles. i'd love to see some pics. (curious about the steering setup too)

The Ford setup with the matching 9 is probably the easiest and cleanest way to go. I run a Ford front and modified the stock radius arms and used them. It works great and was cheap. I even wristed the passengerside arm and it flexes so much you definately need limiting straps.

Since I went with the stock Ford arms, I didn't care about welded brackets so I went with the cast setup because it came with disc brakes and hubs. I left it full width and love it.

GreenDay.jpg

I've been meaning to take some pix and do a writeup. Maybe this weekend.
old man, i love your rig. looks great

A writeup would be nice. I never toyed with the idea of reusing the ford radius arm setup. I'm more familar with that setup anyway. My last trail rig was an early model Bronco.

Droopy

+1 for the first one, the Ford 5 lug. Pick up the matching 9" too.

Back