• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Waggy 44 Spool

Rammin97

NAXJA Forum User
Kind of a newbee question I guess but I figured I would throw it out there and see what everyone thinks. I'm doing a Waggy 44 front and Rodeo 44 swap. When I bought the 4.27s for the front to match the 4.30s in the rear, the guy was saying that he ran a spool in the front, only locked one side while wheeling and when the going got tough, he would lock up the other side.

Opinions or personal experience with this setup?

im not a fan. ill spend the extra hundred bucks and get an autolocker.

i run a spool in my front 44 and i have never unlocked the hubs to make a turn or just driving down a trail. I'm planning on doing the same setup on my next axle. whats a few 3 point turns if it saves you a couple hundred bucks?

I run a spool in my front 44 as well.

It is A-OK for me.

im not a fan. ill spend the extra hundred bucks and get an autolocker.

I would agree normally but with the $$ flow restricted and my axle sitting on the floor crying for attention, I was thinking I could do the mini spool for now then drop in a Aussie or Spartan later.

I run a spool in my front 44 as well.

It is A-OK for me.

i do as well..... tight turns are sometimes tough but the spool was free.... just run a good set of shafts and superjoints and it will live a long healthy life. As far as only locking one side in thats not a good plan.... twice as much stress on one axle, one hub, and one spindle is no bueno

i do as well..... tight turns are sometimes tough but the spool was free.... just run a good set of shafts and superjoints and it will live a long healthy life. As far as only locking one side in thats not a good plan.... twice as much stress on one axle, one hub, and one spindle is no bueno

I have alloys, full circle clips, and CTMs. Works great for me.

I also run a durango steering box though which helps.

Good Stuff, would staying in the 33" range tire size and a light right foot make a difference? I was hoping to run the stock axles along with new Spicer 760s and full circle clips...

I ran full spools in my last XJ with waggy 44's front and rear. This was with 33's and 4.88 gears.

Never had a problem offroad.

I loved it and would do it again in a heartbeat.

Back