• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan Clutch??

XJ311

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I'm new here, but I think I have the classic fan clutch cooling problem. It gets hot sitting at red lights and what not, then kind of cools off during driving around. Where can I go about buying a fan clutch for my 96 with the 4.0 in it. Thanks a lot. I've really learned a lot of valuable information from this board.

I think I am having the same problem. How hard is it to replace it? Should it take all weekend or a couple of hours if every thing falls off like it should?

Thanx

If it is the fan clutch, it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours, if that long. I can do mine in about an hour.

You can get them at the stealership for sure.

You can also get them aftermarket, Imperial and Hayden brands come to mind. The problem is that one of them is longer than stock, and has some interference with the radiator, and I never can remember which one is the right one.

It's not difficult to replace, but it is a bit of a knuckle scraper. Maybe 20 minutes.

I would think of nothing other than the factory replacement unit from the dealership. Pony up the cash and get the right part the first time. That also goes for the factory 195* thermostat.
That's just me though.
Dan.

second the dealership for the fan cluth and t-stat. I tried the Hayden, to long. I have used several different t-stats. Dealership is the way to go with the closed loop cooling system in the Renix XJ's. Juice

i just got mine from Advanced auto parts. it was like 35 i think. less than an hour to do. the only tricky part is the shroud. Best way to check your clutch is to see if there is any wiggle in the fan. A quick and easy way to deal with the fan shroud is to crawl underneath with a good set of tin snips or something else and clip the shroud to the size you need to pull it up over the fan. a good way to test that is to undo the 2 screws at the top and then try and slip it out first and see where it hits then trim it down. there are 4 bolts that hold the clutch/fan on. you then take then fan off the clutch 4 screws i believe. its cake. the only hang up is really the shroud. past that and its simple.easy fix.

cherokeekid95 has the right idea re trimming the lower portion of the shroud. I've done it on both of my XJ's and it makes removal of the shroud and access to that area soooooo sweet! I removed mine the "knuckle-scrape" way and then trimmed it (thinned-down the back side) with my variable speed jigsaw. Don

Back