• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hydraulic Rams for 50 ton Press

XJOutsider

NAXJA Forum User
I need o source a 50 ram for my DIY Press. Does any one have a source for these type of Rams I have looked for days and have not found any thing. promissing. There is a guy on ebay selling the for about $400 dollars every once in a while. I stated looking for just a single action ram and find a way to mount it. I am open to suggestions

A bottle jack would be the way to go unless you want to spend a lot of money on a pump and ram system. They are also much easier to mount in my opinion, I think the rams they use on cheaper presses are essentially an upside down bottle jack. I bet you could add an external reservoir to a bottle jack so the pump would always be submerged in oil and would thus operate upside down.
Do you already have a hydraulic source? Used hand pumps are still like $100-150 and a used electric pump would be another 50-200, then you still have a ram, hardware and lines to buy. A porta-power might be another option.

If you plan on doing any bending, 50 tons isn't that much.

I built a 30 ton press and got the cylinder from Northern Hydraulics. It is a 5" bore and a 8" stroke. I use a 3000psi pump to get the 30 tons from the cylinder. I can bend 1/4' plate with the brake I bought from SWAG Offroad with the 30 tons. Widest piece I have bent is 3". Of course you can bend 11 gage stuff up to 20". Once you get past the 5" cylinders they get pretty pricey and unless you have some real need for 50 tons, I would suggest 30 tons is plenty. I press lots of bearings and bend lots of steel with mine and it is plenty stout. I made it out of 7" c-channel. I can send you some pics if you like. I built a pump/motor/ valve/ tank assy for it. It is powered by a 2hp 220V motor and has a 5 gallon reservoir.

You should post picts here I'm interested

I'm definitely interested as well.

The hydro rams I saw at Tractor Supply the other day while browsing had me thinking :farmer::gee:

Back