• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MTZ vs KM2

ARB-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Not sure which tire to go with. I LOVE my mtz's i have now but im going to 35's and not sure which to get, KM2 is a little cheaper....open to other tires too D44's 4.88's locked

I have 35" km2s as well and I like em a lot. My brother has 33" mtzs and they are quite a bit louder on the street. Mine have been wearing considerably well and plan on purchasing them again.

I have had them both and they are both very good tires. I am currently running 35 km2's and love them! The BFG's will last a bit longer than the Mickey's.

i agree with all the above i have the km2's and absolutely love them to be honest i feel like i have better grip off road too with the tread pattern they have but the mickeys are also equals but i agree the km2's last longer and are quieter although still loud lol

I will be switching to KM2s when I am due. I currently have dick cepek mud countries and they are very good,but I have heard so many good things about km2s that I am making the switch.

Anyone have experience in the snow with the KM2's?

Mine do really well in the deep powder here in colorado. I think they are much better on the streets than the original KMs as well. As a matter of fact, I think they do better than the wrangler silent armors that are on my xterra.

I believe the KM2 is the worst tire I have ever run hands down. I have had BFG KM's, absolutely loved them, decided it was time to upgrade to the new KM2 tire. It was a disapoiontment. They drove like crap on the road, and wore out twice as fast as my KM's. They were also terrible in the snow, they had no side stability and just didn't want to move my truck were I wanted it to. I sold them and now have Baja MTZ's, I have no complaints yet. They drive nice but are loud, I love them in the mud! Have not had a chance to play with them in the snow yet but they have performed better then my KM2's in every other situation.

Stepdad just got KM2's on his truck, it drove so shitty that he took them back 2 weeks later and got BFG A/T's, problem solved. Put KM2's on the bottom of your list, MTZ's work great and the MTR Kevlars are unbelievable! I have ran both and have real world experience, the people who like KM2's don't know any better.

I I have ran both and have real world experience, the people who like KM2's don't know any better.

Maybe you should work on your driving if you say they suck. on a recent trip with 16 rigs, myself and my brother in law were the only ones who didnt have to get winched going through fordice while everyone else with MTR's got stuck. the KM2's are the best tires ive ever run and have proved it on many wheeling trips.

We have to run the kevlar MTR's on all our work trucks and they SUCK. we havent had those last longer than 8k miles before they are worn out. They are loud as hell on road, ride like a tank, and do terrible off road in every condition.

My MTZ's (35's) are holding up well, pretty quiet after I got the air pressure correct (20 psi on my XJ). They have chucked a little from the rocks, but not too bad. The leading edges of the lugs are wearing a bit... mostly wheeling in sand or rocks. They have taken me everywhere I have wanted to go, and have pleasantly surprised me a few times. I would buy another set.

No snow experience with them yet.

My $0.02

Maybe you should work on your driving if you say they suck. on a recent trip with 16 rigs, myself and my brother in law were the only ones who didnt have to get winched going through fordice while everyone else with MTR's got stuck. the KM2's are the best tires ive ever run and have proved it on many wheeling trips.

We have to run the kevlar MTR's on all our work trucks and they SUCK. we havent had those last longer than 8k miles before they are worn out. They are loud as hell on road, ride like a tank, and do terrible off road in every condition.

I here ya brotha very good real world comparison.

Air pressure is key to making tires last and run well. Most people and tire shops just fill up tires to the maximum pressure on the side wall and call it good. A 35x12.50 15 KM2 load rating at max PSI (35psi) is 2,535lbs per tire!!!
Trust me an XJ does not weigh that at each corner thus max PSI is overkill and will ride and wear like crap.

I believe the KM2 is the worst tire I have ever run hands down. I have had BFG KM's, absolutely loved them, decided it was time to upgrade to the new KM2 tire. It was a disapoiontment. They drove like crap on the road, and wore out twice as fast as my KM's. They were also terrible in the snow, they had no side stability and just didn't want to move my truck were I wanted it to. I sold them and now have Baja MTZ's, I have no complaints yet. They drive nice but are loud, I love them in the mud! Have not had a chance to play with them in the snow yet but they have performed better then my KM2's in every other situation.

Stepdad just got KM2's on his truck, it drove so shitty that he took them back 2 weeks later and got BFG A/T's, problem solved. Put KM2's on the bottom of your list, MTZ's work great and the MTR Kevlars are unbelievable! I have ran both and have real world experience, the people who like KM2's don't know any better.

x2 on all of this ^. km2's are good for a tow rig but not a wheeler. i have ripped 3 sidewalls and they suck in the mud, roots, and snow.

dont know why you are having issues with the new MTR's. they are the best PNW tire out there right now. they self clean very easily, grab onto roots and rock like no other tire out there. the 8k miles before they are worn out, cant be true. I know numerous guys with the kevlar that have atleast 20k on them and have about 45% tread left. would i dd them? no. but 8k miles and they are worn out cant be true.............

I have 33" km2s I like them alot. they worked well in snowy road driving. I have yet to wheel them in the snow. I have had them for about a year and a half, I DD them and think I have almost 70% tread left.

I would buy them again.

Both have good reviews. I have an MTZ for a spare and its a nice tire. I am thinking of steeping up to 33x10.5 KM2's for my next tire.

Thanks for the reminder, I will work on my driving more before I post....... I can say the KM2's work great in the rocks, but in the snow they are scary as shit on side hills. The MTR tread pattern makes way more sense, just look at it and look at the engineering that went into it. The MTR also has twice the sidewall strength, and I have not heard a single person complain about how they work offroad or on. On the other hand I have talked to quite a few people who were disapionted about their KM2's.

I am sure had those other 14 rigs been running KM2's they would have made it. Thats some funny stuff!

ARB-XJ, if you enjoy wheeling in the snow there are better all around tires out there than the KM2, they do work but others work better and last longer.

Back