• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

question about the 8.25

XJ-ARNIE

NAXJA Forum User
the different diameter shafts in the two axles, 27 spline being 1.17" and the 29 spline being 1.21", does this change the size of the housing? or is it possible to swap a 29 spline carrier, r&p, and shafts (with new seals for the 29, and everything) to the 27 spline housing? this question was born of a disscusion between me and a freind, and im looking for input. i have wayyyy to many parts lying around, and im curious of the compatablitly. thanks for your input

the housings are identical

not really sure why you care as a 97+ axle is direct bolt in. I have a 27 spline if you want to come to Iowa & drag it out of the garage.

you cannot swap the 29-spline parts into a 27-spline carrier due to the 29-spline side gears being too big.

thanks guys. im not in need of any parts....i have plenty of those. I was curious becasue i have a housing sitting around....and theres nothing in it, and i havnt a clue what it came out of, all i know is it was once in a jeep. i also have a set of shafts i picked up from a freind in wisconsin, and there 29 spline shafts. i know i have a 29 spline carrier floating around somewhere....haha. thanks again.

Hey craig. Lets get a meet an greet around before WF. if you donot use the shafts i will take them off your hands for spares.

john

dude, im game. ill set up a thread. Im gonna use those shafts on Hillbilly hotrod, but ill keep you in mind if i trip over anything, (i usually do)

Back