• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 to 99 aw4 and flex plate interchange

jeepcomj

NAXJA Forum User
alright.

I'm converting my '87 comanche with a '95 H.O. conversion to a '99 cherokee.

it's a 4.0/auto/np231

obviously I'll have to swap the...
throttle body sensors
intake sensors
distributor
coil
alternator
temp sensor (and block off rear sensor hole)
wiring harness (which will require a few different holes cut in the firewall, and some blocked off)
heater box

the neutral safety switch will be swapped because of 2 reasons...different connector, and mine is bypassed as it is bad.

my question is this...

I have a '95 AW4 in the truck right now. there is nothing wrong with it. I don't want to pull it out, because it has fresh fluid in it. there's no reason to unless rumors are true and there is, in fact, an added sensor on the '97+ aw4.

I also don't want to swap the flexplate. for the same reasons. I THINK that the timing windows are the same (based off the fact that geonovast's brother has a '91 flywheel in his '99 xj).

my plan is to take a junk engine harness I have, cut the '95 aw4 connector out of it, and cut the connector off of a junk '97 aw4 I have here, splice them together to make a jumper, and put it in so I don't have any permanent hack job wiring.

any thoughts?

the driveplates are the same just diff part numbers

Thanx. I think I can make this work w/o swapping the trans....

The 98+ TCU will expect both the input and output sensors from the 98+ AW4. Check the TCU you have, if it has a date stamp reading 98 or later you need a 98+ AW4... or there is a chance you can plug in a 97 (only 97 works for this) TCU and it might keep the ECU happy while not caring about the ISS. Haven't tested this theory yet, but you have enough spare parts on hand that I wouldn't be surprised if you have a 97 TCU on hand.

You could also install a 97+ ECU (with the right O2 sensor / emissions config) from an MT XJ and then use whatever TCU you want to.

I have 97 and 99 harnesses. Would like to run the 99 for the newer keyless remote.

Everything I'm doing here is for trivial reasons...I like the dash, and I want obd2. Being that I don't have a 96 harness sitting around, the 99 was the way to go.

So...run the 97 ecu and tcu, 95 trans, and 97 o2 sensors, and call it good?...I may swap the trans now just so when I go to the parts store, it's easier to get.

I *think* that should work.

The 91-97 trannies are functionally equivalent. Only difference is that on the 97s (and only the 97s) the electrical connector for the harness is different. Big whoop, splice it like you planned to, it'll work great.

I am not 100% on the 97 ECU matching up with the 99 harness. If it all plugs together and has the same number of O2 sensors you should be golden. Test fit all the sensors and plugs before assembly, then have at it. What I can guarantee is that a 95 tranny, 97 TCU, and 97 ECU should coexist quite happily.

Oh, and have fun confusing the guys at the local parts store... "what year is your jeep?" "uhhh.... 87, 95, 97, 99, or 91 depending on what part you're talking about..."

yeah...

last time I was at the parts store, I got parts for an '87 mj, 95 xj, and 98 zj....all for the same vehicle.

they hate me lol.

I wonder if it's possible to flash an ECU and set it to a certain amount of miles, as well as a gauge cluster....my jeep only has 10,000 miles on most if not all of the parts.

I know for a fact it's possible to do the 97+ ECUs and gauge clusters, but I believe only the dealerships have the tools (for the most part) and you'd have to check into legality.

The guys at my local autozone gave up a while ago, they usually turn the monitor around, push the keyboard at me, and tell me to figure it out myself.

Last edited:
it's legal. title reads "odometer exempt", and in the state of WI that is something that can be done, with a signed paper accompanied from the state.

nifty, go for it I guess.

The PA title for my M54A2 says the same thing... "odometer disclosure exempt by federal law". Been wondering what the mass RMV will say about that.

Back