• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunking noises when applying brakes.

Kristjan

NAXJA Forum User
I recently had to put my Jeep to front wheel drive only, because my rear CV joint is/was in a need of an up-grate. Everything was Ok at first but recently I started to notice this low and quiet but still very noticeable clunk when i push the brake pedal, Also thought that it happened while decelerating. It only happens the first time I apply the brakes each time or let go of the throttle each time, thus doesn't matter how hard I brake each time, this only happens the first time i touch the pedal.

I feel that this noise is coming from the passenger side drivers cabin. Like where the transfer case is located. (Np-231) I tried to put in reverse and brake and I didn't get any clunk at that test. I haven't driven this thing fast with this clunk but have got to aprox. 35 Miles and it acted the same. Yesterday I thought that I had this clunk also when going from D/R R/D when at stop, but today I didn't notice that. Last time I experienced that was when the weld in the carrier of my Camaro's 7.5" ten bolt had broke after couple of 12 sec flat 1/4 runs, but that's another story, Also the clunk was way louder and noticeable at that time, and it also happened when decelerating, then it happened ofter than once at a time.

The Jeep is '89 XJ with Dana 44 Rear and 30R Front, Coil springs around.
Please help, I'm getting really tired of this thing. My thoughts are front CV/U-joints, Slack transfer case chain, Broken spider gears. Just haven't have time to check this thing yet. But it would be awesome to have some suggestions of what to look for and how.

If I'm not very clear on things just let me know.

Best regards from Iceland.

i would start with checking the rear d/shaft. put hands on it, it shouldnt have play....
however you said it doesnt happen when going from reverse into drive, which makes me wonder.

good luck!

i would start with checking the rear d/shaft. put hands on it, it shouldnt have play....
however you said it doesnt happen when going from reverse into drive, which makes me wonder.

good luck!

Don't forget to check your engine and trans mounts, as well as the engine mount to engine bracket bolts.

good luck!

What i ment is that this doesn't happen when backing the car in reverse and then brake. Then theres no clunk opposite to what happens when driving forward. Also the Jeep is in the front wheel drive only since the rear driveshaft has a bad CV joint.

Will check the motor and tranny mount. What about control arms ?

Regards.

Back