• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Draglink tie rod

19864cyl

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1986 xj. I wanted to do the zj tierod upgrade unitl I learned that it wouldnt work because I dont have a 91+. Is it possible for me to buy the zj draglink(tierod)? The one I have is worn out really bad, so bad it has probably a half inch of play in it. PLease help because I have to order it from from the parts house.

When I bought mine they said the same thing, 1991 and up but it worked just fine on mine with no mods required. Buy it.

tie rod will work fine for any of them-- the change in '91 was with the drag link and tie rod at the steering box-- prior to '91, they were spindly. You would be dollars-to-doughnuts ahead if you grabbed the entire assembly from the ZJ and use it all.

Go ahead and get the ZJ tie rod and drag link. I am running them on my '87 XJ with no problems.

what about just the draglink? I only need/can only afford the draglink for now. Will my stock tierod work with the zj draglink? What year draglink did you buy?

When I bought mine they said the same thing, 1991 and up but it worked just fine on mine with no mods required. Buy it.

Was it larger than the stock one?

tie rod will work fine for any of them-- the change in '91 was with the drag link and tie rod at the steering box-- prior to '91, they were spindly. You would be dollars-to-doughnuts ahead if you grabbed the entire assembly from the ZJ and use it all.

Does that mean that the v8 and 91+ use the same draglink but only larger? Does the zj draglink have a replacable end at the pitman arm?

i used the ZJ draglink and tie rod on my 90 with no problems. bolted right up.

i think I read somewhere that the ZJ draglink is longer. Is that true? Do I need to by an adjustment sleeve or whatever?

Also please help me soon guys if you can. I need to know buy noon today so that I can order it so it will be here buy this weekend.

thank you for all your help. I love this place. this is without a doubt the most technically helpful xj board I have ever been on. yall really know your shit here. i love it here because its more than just budget boosts and roof racks here lol

ZJ and XJ drag links will interchange without problems. The only significant difference between the pre-'91 and the ZJ drag link is the diameter of the bar itself. The length and ball stud diameter/taper is the same.

ZJ and XJ drag links will interchange without problems. The only significant difference between the pre-'91 and the ZJ drag link is the diameter of the bar itself. The length and ball stud diameter/taper is the same.

Cool. Can I use the stock(1986) tierod with the newer(91+) draglink though? I will upgrade the tierod too, but it might be a month or so. Also at the autoparts store do I just tell them I need a draglink for a 91+ xj?

If you are buying new, my suggestion would be to get the upgraded draglink, but buy a better tie-rod than the ZJ one. As the price is about the same for a lot beefier tie rod.
I went with the Ironman4x4fab.com

If you are buying new, my suggestion would be to get the upgraded draglink, but buy a better tie-rod than the ZJ one. As the price is about the same for a lot beefier tie rod.
I went with the Ironman4x4fab.com

Yeah, but what size tre's does Andy use? It doesn't say there. It does indicate what size threading it is, but I'm on my iPhone and can't look up what that is right now. Keep in mind that zj tre's are bigger than stock xj ones and that a lot of "hd" tie rods just use stock xj tre's.

Yeah, but what size tre's does Andy use? It doesn't say there. It does indicate what size threading it is, but I'm on my iPhone and can't look up what that is right now. Keep in mind that zj tre's are bigger than stock xj ones and that a lot of "hd" tie rods just use stock xj tre's.

it says "1.25 cold-rolled solid steel" and its 38"s long

will the stock tierod end that I have (the one that connects to the pitman arm) have the same size threads and screw onto the new (larger) zj draglink?

will the stock tierod end that I have (the one that connects to the pitman arm) have the same size threads and screw onto the new (larger) zj draglink?

no- the inner tie rod end (at pitman arm) needs to match the drag link if you are gonna change it. It's always possible to get a specialized adjusting sleeve that would allow it to connect, but that would just leave you with a weak link that still needs updating.

I'd plan to change at least all of the linkage from the gear box to the right front wheel at the same time if you're not gonna do everything at once.

Back