• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

3in lift vibrations

90xj06

NAXJA Forum User
hello,

i have just put a rustys 3in spring pack lift on my 1990 xj. i seem to be having vibrations at 30 mph. at high way speeds it gives a weird sound like 2 gears clanking.

now the rear leafs are 3.5 inch in lift right now until they break in.

will the problems go away after the leafs break in?

would a transfer case drop fix it?

or should i get a longer slip yoke. don't really want to get a sye if i don't have to right now.

the vibrations are not too bad there like driving on the rumble strip on the shoulders. and only at from 30-35. after that there not noticeable.

any help would be great.

I have a 3-1/2" Skyjacker lift on my 98xj and it also had vibration in the drive after installation. Transfer case lowering kit solved the problem. It is because your drive shaft is at a steeper angle than is ideal.

i have no installed shims but im thinking of doing the TC drop. ill look into the shims also. but should i get a longer slip joint to make up for the fact that it is pulled out further?

I doubt that your yoke is pulled out enough to make any serious difference. The issue is driveshaft angles. Quick and dirty is to do a TC-Drop. Fancy would be to measure your driveshaft angles to determine how far they are off and what size shim you need to fix the problem. The key to proper DS angles is equal an opposite.

could someone give me a ghetto ms paint description on how to figure out how to measure the angles of the ds so that i can figure out what angle i need to get for the axle shims

I doubt that your yoke is pulled out enough to make any serious difference. The issue is driveshaft angles. Quick and dirty is to do a TC-Drop. Fancy would be to measure your driveshaft angles to determine how far they are off and what size shim you need to fix the problem. The key to proper DS angles is equal an opposite.

So, how do you measure your DS angles?

Back