• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

is this yoke salvageable??

milehigh

NAXJA Forum User
IMG_0217.jpg

Was attempting to press in my new u-joint in the front axle and the damn cap jammed in so tight that I managed to seperate the cap in half. So while trying to remove the carnage this occurred to the hub yoke. Only reason I can guess as to why it busted like that is either there was some dirt/grit (I used a flap wheel to clean up the bore), there was some surface rust on the cap, or it was just started too crooked to pop into place. The damage there was from pressing out the the broken cap. Im thinking it was started crooked and bound up on the side with the rust or crud causing the half moon gouge.

I took some rough measurements and it appears that on either side of the ridge there the id is within .001 of each other. Could I get away with cleaning that surface up and reusing this yoke/hub axle?

Last edited:
you should be fine, the cap on the ujoint is held into the yoke by the circlips anyway. I would just get a rat tail file and smooth it out.

thanks, took it to a local shop when I picked up the new u joint and they said it will be weaker but should work fine. I put er back together tonight and everything seems fine. I use this for mostly a dd/snowboarding rig with some light trail duty so Im not too worried about it.

Back