• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rubi gears on an xj axle/carrier

2stix

NAXJA Forum User
do the gear sets from the rubicons work on the stock xj D44 axle carriers? from what i understand, the rubicon uses a "thick" ring gear from the factory. and the 3.55 carrier from the xj D44 also needs the same thick gear set.(for 3.73 and down ratio's) are they interchangeable? basically wondering if i can use the rubi 4.10 factory set on my 3.55 xj D44.

The Rubi gears run larger ring gear bolts.Some manufacturers now make "dual" drilled gear sets.

They run a larger mounting bolt but from already doing this on a friends jeep you can order the sleeves from randy's ring and pinion and then run the gears with no problems

They run a larger mounting bolt but from already doing this on a friends jeep you can order the sleeves from randy's ring and pinion and then run the gears with no problems

hmmm thats wierd Im not sure what you mean about sleeves. When I installed 4.88 rubicon gears in my rear xj 44 trac loc. I had to drill out the carrier to accept the larger bolts.

hmmm thats wierd Im not sure what you mean about sleeves. When I installed 4.88 rubicon gears in my rear xj 44 trac loc. I had to drill out the carrier to accept the larger bolts.

He's saying that you can sleeve the bolt holes on the ring gear to accept the smaller bolts that the carrier uses.

How do you sleeve threaded holes?

it's kind of like a "heli coil" in my opinion thats not the best way to remedy the problem. it is better to get a step down stud. thread the larger size into the ring gear with loctite, then the stud sticking out from the ring gear is smaller diameter and you use a nut to tighten it to the carrier. stronger and safer in my opinion.

Back