• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fan clutch question

keep0njeepin0n

NAXJA Forum User
I've developed a slight squeak at idle and have found that my fan clutch has some play in it (bearing going out). To make matters worse, I also recently found a VERY small radiator leak (overflow bottle goes from full to add about every 5000 miles) and yes, I have verified it is actually a leak and not head gasket. I plan on buying the FF Dynamics triple threat fan kit and aluminum radiator by next pay day.

My question is, the fan seems to be getting worse, and this is MY ONLY means of transportation. Would it be ok, as long as I was very careful, since it is starting to get cool outside, to take the fan completely off until I get the new kit? I feel like it should be ok since I do mostly highway driving, and even if it did warm up a little the electric condenser fan would kick on.

With my luck, I could just see the fan going out, and taking out the radiator too, making the heep 100% disabled until the new kit comes in.

Please advise..........:dunno:

I wouldn't rely on cool weather and your e-fan to do all the cooling. I've lost a fan belt before in cold weather and the dang thing red zoned in about 2 minute without a mech fan.

in a poorer time in my life, I drove a car for almost a year without any fan-- it doesn't have to be there, but be careful exiting the freeway and coming to a stop. There is a lot more heat being cooled by incoming air once you get her up to temp and hit the highway.

I'd run an auxiliary switch for the electric fan to help "keep up" with cooling duties.

I'd drive it as is. It sounds like your geting a new rad anyway
and this one is leaking now.
Hopefully your commute isn't that long and your luck is good.

I'd drive it as is. It sounds like your geting a new rad anyway
and this one is leaking now.
Hopefully your commute isn't that long and your luck is good.

The radiator IS leaking, but it's VERY slow and the least of my concerns. My biggest worry is the fan clutch has gotten noticeably worse in the last week. I know if the fan comes apart it's going through the radiator, that's my luck!

Back