• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New to XJ's, Need help with bumper fading.

gearhead231

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone! Just bought my first XJ! its a 99 Sport. Maroon red. The end caps and trim are very faded grey. I would like to restore the color back to black, or close to it. I also own a YJ and Ive seen guys take a heat gun to the fender flares on those.

Question: If I take a heat gun to my trim do you think itll bring back some color? I would like to stay away from paint because that gets expensive.

btw sorry if this is not Technicall. Im new to this forum.:looney:

Thanks, Buckman

I took some fine grit sand paper and lightly Scuffed mine, cleaned them real good to remove all dust and dirt. I then used "Krylon" Fusion spray paint in a "satin" finish. That was 3 years ago and they are just now starting to fade. Time to do again. Very inexpensive.

I used a spray bottle of Restore Black on my '99 Sport and it seemed to work pretty well. You will need to reapply it every few weeks, but it looks good while it lasts. Or, you could just pull that ugly plastic and run your rig without the trim.

I took some fine grit sand paper and lightly Scuffed mine, cleaned them real good to remove all dust and dirt. I then used "Krylon" Fusion spray paint in a "satin" finish. That was 3 years ago and they are just now starting to fade. Time to do again. Very inexpensive.
This is what I did to my TJ flares (http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/tj_flare.html) as well. When I picked them up, they were very gray and sun-faded.

flare_4.jpg

After prepping and painting with Krylon Fusion, they looked as good as new:
flare_12.jpg

Jim www.yuccaman.com/jeep

I was taking my trim off with a heat gun tonight in preparation for paint tomorrow, and the trim turned black, like new where I heated it up pretty good.

I felt stupid....I had used this trick on my 6x6 ATV body that is made of HDPE, never thought about trying it on the trim. I would remove from the vehicle before doing all the trim though.

I like the die method much better than painting them.. No matter how good you get it to stick, it just doesn't hold up like the forever black treatment, not to mention you can re-apply. I'm using some stuff called Black 3200, and it keeps mine black for about 2years at a time. I've picked up enough scratches by then its worth re-coating but at least its not paint.

Not sure about the heat gun trick. Let us know if that gets everything back to color.

Ok, I took some before and after pics with the heat gun. The small piece of trim on the concrete is off of my Jeep, and I had previously painted it. I used some bumper stripper first, but it looks like I may need to strip it again.

The white Cherokee is my Mom's and hers was not as faded as mine, and I just did a center section on the panel because I did not want to get close to the paint.

http://community.webshots.com/album/580702214FOWPQh

I tried the heat method, and it sucked like most of the products I tried (although I never tried the "Forever Black" stuff). I used Duplicolor bumper paint. Looks like new, cheap, easy.

Back