• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

frowned upon? (RE leaf Q)

in4aride

NAXJA Forum User
so is it frowned upon to take a leaf OUT of the pack to make it a bit softer and lower?
if you can (read: if you have) take(n) a leaf out, which one is best?

How do you think they make them. If your making them softer and you don't have a traction bar i would leave the bottom leaf in to fight axle rap. Other than that just experiment

On my BOR 4" flex-e packs I was running on my 92 I wound up taking several leaves out to try and soften them up a bit and keep my ride height where I wanted it after relocating my shackle mounts. Worked great minus the axlewrap

I've done this & know people who have.....on mini trucks to get lower or work with bags. There were guys who I saw running mono leafs, very bouncy even with bags and shocks so not for offroad use.

Anyway I have built and rebuilt my leaf packs dozens of times, so I have a pile of leaves around. What I would do is get some leaf springs from the junk yard, jeep or s10(whatever matches the arch of your pack better) & take the long leaf from that pack and cut the ends off of it. Take that to your leaf pack now (which I assume is aftermarket or rebuilt in some way) and take the leaf you cut the ends off, and trim it to match your 2nd or 3rd leaf down. That way you have the same number of leaves you just dont have as much arch. I think that would be better in all respects, because you don't want to bring any unwanted axle wrap. Also if you should ever break a leaf, they tend to break toward the middle of the axle so the more the merrier.

I have also tweaked the leaf pack to get the right height and spring rate.

It depends on lots of things and often takes more than one try to get it right.

When I did my DAK PACK it I think I did it 4 times to get it the way that I liked it. First it was too soft/low then too stiff/high then about right, then it sagged and did not flex as well as I wanted.

Back