• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Four year old gas issue

H8PVMT

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
tried firing up the new project and after getting spark and fuel it wouldn't catch, shot ether in the intake and it started for a sec, then realized the gas was at least 4 years old, syphoned out 7 or so gallons (tank was less than half full if the gauge was right) and then put in a fresh five with cleaner (gauge read 1/4 after)and it still won't catch, but wants to..seems like it's still pulling bad gas from the tank......

should I add more fresh gas to dillute the crap that settled to the bottom and keep cranking to get the crap gas through the system? also would like to clean the injectors, could have swore there was a kit you could get for 40-60 bucks that connects to the schrader valve? or should I remove the fuel rail and kick the pump on and spit a gallon or two from the line into a can

TIA

Doug
:smoker:

Anyone need 7 gallons of varnish?

Definately pull the connection at the rail and check for flow(pump/filter).Yes, you can buy a kit for cleaning the injectors(but the good one is fairly expensive).

I'm getting fuel to the rail, I'll put a gauge on it next time I'm there and fuel is going in, you can smell it when i crank for a while, it's just 4 year old gas that's been in the lines. Cheapest kit I could find was 120, found one on autozones website but it was just the lines, not the cannister

If it was anything like mine, the gas will have clogged the screen in the tank and eaten the rubber line that goes between the pump and the steel line. Pull the pump out of the tank and check it. That small piece of hose will rot and you won't get any fuel pressure up at the fuel rail.

i have pressure, enough to fire, it's the quality of the gas at this point that's stopping it, already got under it and checked the rubber part and it was fine

i have pressure, enough to fire, it's the quality of the gas at this point that's stopping it, already got under it and checked the rubber part and it was fine

The rubber I'm talking about is inside the tank. You have to pull the sender/pump assembly to check it. I had that fail on 2 XJs that sat for a while. You should pull it anyway and replace the filter on the inlet of the pump because it is probably either covered with varnish or has disintegrated.

The rubber I'm talking about is inside the tank. You have to pull the sender/pump assembly to check it. I had that fail on 2 XJs that sat for a while. You should pull it anyway and replace the filter on the inlet of the pump because it is probably either covered with varnish or has disintegrated.
I've never had that fail, even on my 91 it's the original OEM hose and perfectly fine :dunno:

I'd try running a temporary hose from the check port on the fuel rail to the tank fillspout and run the pump for a while, the lines are probably still full of stale gas.

I've never had that fail, even on my 91 it's the original OEM hose and perfectly fine :dunno:

I'd try running a temporary hose from the check port on the fuel rail to the tank fillspout and run the pump for a while, the lines are probably still full of stale gas.

I can see his point as your 91 might have old components but they weren't cured in vinager like this might have been.

I'm going to check for correct pressure tomorrow and then if all is good then, pull the gas line from the rail and run it into a can for a bit to get the crap out of the line

pulled the rail and it was clogged with giant pieces of rust, so most the likely most of the injectors were also, used the set that came with the blown engine and it started right up....and started smoking

Did you do the swap outside? I did, and between that and the large amounts of pb-blaster I used, it smoked for a couple minutes from the manifolds while it warmed up. Just keep a fire extinguisher in one hand, a friend with their hand on the key, and a close eye on things...

The tranny fluid on the exhaust probably isn't helping matters either.

we used kroil, PB, WD40, Blood and a whole lot of swears putting it in, didn't smell like burning oil, plus the engine had a quart of seafoam in it , that stuff works awesome, jeep was running for 10-20 seconds and the new oil was dark. Tranny fluid isn't on the exhaust, it's going straight to the ground errr a bucket

My bet is that there is oil burning off the OUTSIDE of the manifold, knowing how much penetrating oil we used to get those !@#$%^&* bolts off - we will cook it off slowly so we don't

1. Set fire to the jeep

2. Set fire to my woods, such as they are ;-)

That's my bet too.

I didn't have much trouble getting the manifold off the block, but removing the stupid 14mm or 9/16 nuts to get the downpipe off the manifold resulted in a LOT of smoke when I started it back up.

Back