• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

S10 Bastard Pack

tuxfan212

NAXJA Forum User
Ok here is the deal. I have been a member of this forum for a while now and I read a ton on here. Soon I will be lifting my Cherokee with the recently bought s10 springs and some other parts I need to buy still. Anyway I am looking for 3-4 inches and know for the most part all of the extra parts I need... So for any of you who have done an s10 Bastard pack what did you do? How much lift did you get? How is the ON ROAD and Offroad performance? I am hoping to get about stock on road performance with the s10 Bastard packs. This is a DD for the most part. Thanks a ton.

I have installed 3 bastard packs in 3 different XJ's with the same results. 4+- inches lift, comfortable ride and very decent flex. I ran Rubicon Express 4.5 coils up front on all three jeeps, jeep sat great.
I used the stock XJ main leaf, all the S10 leaves except the bottom overload thick leaf, cut off the eyes of the S10 main leaf and and add these to the XJ main leaf.
You need to drill out the center hole to match but that's easy.
Lou

I have installed 3 bastard packs in 3 different XJ's with the same results. 4+- inches lift, comfortable ride and very decent flex. I ran Rubicon Express 4.5 coils up front on all three jeeps, jeep sat great.
I used the stock XJ main leaf, all the S10 leaves except the bottom overload thick leaf, cut off the eyes of the S10 main leaf and and add these to the XJ main leaf.
You need to drill out the center hole to match but that's easy.
Lou
I plan on using the overload just because its mostly a DD with some wheeling but not extensive. What you did is what I am planning to do with mine and are you saying that I will probably net over 4 inches? Just trying to figure out what front springs to get thats all. I was originally planning on Rustys 3 inch up front but now maybe I think I might need something bigger?

I ran the bottom without the s10 main. I'm very happy I don't have any numbers as I bent the hell out of my stockers with an add a leaf. If xjs weren't ment to fly they shouldn't do it so well. Mine are pretty flexy but they firm up when they get into the over load. I'm happy

I ran the bottom without the s10 main. I'm very happy I don't have any numbers as I bent the hell out of my stockers with an add a leaf. If xjs weren't ment to fly they shouldn't do it so well. Mine are pretty flexy but they firm up when they get into the over load. I'm happy
What are you running for the front? Would you car to give an estimate even though you dont know the exact lift?

Well I bought my coils used the guy said they were 2.5 witch seams pretty close and I've got a 2 inch spacer with it. I've also got what they claim are 1.5 inch shackles. It sits level. I can go measure if you want. But I'm at the bar so I'm not Goin out side less you ask nice. I call it 4.5 but I don't know for sure

why would you leave the overload spring on? an overload is only good when you haul alot of weight. your better off ditching the overload and keeping the main leaf. the overload certainly wont help you any on the street other then if you plan to haul heavy crap around in ur jeep so its severely squating

EDIT: also im only getting about 3.5 from my s10 pack, i got the 4 leaf pack and removed the overload so 3 total plus my main. its the softer of the 2 s10 packs you can get and it rides excellent on the street and does pretty good offroad, real flexy

Last edited:
Because I don't have a traction bar. And I don't like buying expensive ujoints because of some flex I can't use anyway. My springs go flat when I'm flexed out that's all you really want if you want your springs to last. Plus I'm pretty stuffed anyway I got nowhere to put the tire. Sorry if I'm not making as much sense I'm going through white Russians like no ones bidness.

next time your behind a lifted f350 watch the over load as it takes off, it twists right with the other leafs. the only way it will help with axle wrap is if it was touching the leaf above it befor it wraps otherwise the leafs are still free to wrap out until it contacts the overload. basically if you look at it its the same as adding a 1/2 inch lift block unless it has the same arch to it to contact at all times

I think youre on the wrong forum I drive an xj. A truck is setup totally different that is an over load. an Xj with a soft spring pack squats when you get on it. It doesn't have to touch sitting still. yes it will wrap a little but as it does the anti wrap gets tighter and stops the pinion before it maxes out the ujoint and rips it out of the yoke in pieces.

I am pretty sure I have the heavier of the two s10 packs. It was off of a 01 Blazer or so I was told. Anyway so lets say for instance I use everything but overload and buy 4-4.5 lift springs and then realize the back needs half an inch more lift, Then I would just throw the overload back on?

I used the whole 3 spring s-10 pack with the XJ main in the rear with the Thunderbird coils up front and ended up with 4.5 inches of lift. On Road it rides stiffer than the original suspension but not so bad as to be uncomfortable. It actually handles like like a sports car in that the jeep doesn't sway around turns like it used to.

Tux you will get a little lift from putting the over load in. I don't know if it will be a full 1/2 inch. It depends on how arched your packs are how thick the overload is. Its not an like using new parts. Hell you could get more.

I think youre on the wrong forum I drive an xj. A truck is setup totally different that is an over load. an Xj with a soft spring pack squats when you get on it. It doesn't have to touch sitting still. yes it will wrap a little but as it does the anti wrap gets tighter and stops the pinion before it maxes out the ujoint and rips it out of the yoke in pieces.

just because i want to double check were talking about the same thing here, you are talking about the thick flat spring on the very bottom of a leaf pack also know as an overload spring? my s10 pack had an overload about a half inch thick toward the middle. im on a 6-7 inch lift and have yet to eat even one u joint, thats using my bastard pack a 3 inch shackle and an 8.8 for that extra half inch or so. if your arguement is that a truck and suv(xj) are different then yes your right, a truck uses an overload stock and the xj doesnt even with obviously very soft leafs. all offroad companies dont sell their leafs with an overload on the bottom because its not necessary. thats an overload spring not an antiwrap, its not there to prevent axle wrap on the origional vehicle in anyway at all. basically if you really thing the xj is going to completely flatten those leafs under torque then go ahead and leave it there but its still not going to effect your axle wrap

Back