• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission cooler

trevanator

NAXJA Forum User
So i plan on buying a transmission cooler soon and I would like to get some opinions on what I should probably buy
i have looked at a number of them and I am just not sure what will perform the best
I am looking in the 50-60 dollar range but i could go a little higher but i dont need one of the ones with its own fan and all that junk more electrical is not what i need on my xj lol
i need to replace the tranny cooler i had on before which was a heat sink and one it leaked and two im not sure if it really did anything idk if they work like they say they do
so any help would be awesome thanks guys

In before everyone tells you to get a junkyard expedition/explorer cooler.....

I just went and got the cheapest stacked plate cooler they had at autozone. The stacked plate is more efficient than the tube and fin. Anyways, after installing it, I'm happy. I might upgrade in the future to a bigger stacked plate model from autozone and convert this to power steering cooler.

Lots of members run the small B&M stacked plate cooler. Rated to 18,000 lb GVW.

Wayne

I got one of the tube and fin coolers from rusty's which is a flex-a-lite. I had a gift certificate for it so it didn't cost anything. I think the GVWR was 8000.

Definately dont waste any money on a tube style cooler,get a plate/fin cooler as large as you can find room for!
P1040481.jpg

That's the one I used. I mounted it in the middle of the radiator, slightly offset to the right, so it is in front of the engine driven fan shroud. Fit right in behind the grill with no trimming.

That's the one I used. I mounted it in the middle of the radiator, slightly offset to the right, so it is in front of the engine driven fan shroud. Fit right in behind the grill with no trimming.

awesome thats what i was hoping for no trimming and that the fit would be fine
thanks

get the largest one that will fit and that you can afford. i ended up going with a medium sized tube and fin from napa and i will be trading it out for a larger stacked plate one. btw, the "cooler" in the radiator is a small heat exchanger consisting of a double wall tube that the trans fluid flows through in one of the end tanks of the rad. not worth anything imo.

Back