• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New To Jeeps need advice on problems

JayBirdsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I just got my first XJ a month ago since then i put on a 3" lift. After I put the lift on the rear drivers side brake has started making a loud thumping that can be felt in the back seat when i brake from speeds above 25 mph. Any suggestions on what it could beand how to fix it? Also my fuel guage always bouces back and forth from empty to full.

Always post your Cherokee's info in your questions. Year, engine, transmission, transfer case, axle type. Cherokee had numerous options and variations over the years and the answer to even simple questions will vary based on the installed parts and options.

First, you should inspect your rear brakes. Service them if required. Thumping can be an out of round brake drum, broken or missing brake parts, or your Cherokee needing a brake job.

Get a creeper and crawl under your XJ and lay there for a while.. Look at everything. Grab things (jeep related) and shake. Could be the sway bar, bushings shot, one side not connected, loose shock, u joints, spring plates and u bolts etc.. When breaking all this stuff is loaded. Check brakes as was stated.

BTW, while under there remember, the taller lift you have the bigger tires you can fit. Bigger tires, easier it is to crawl under.:farmer:

BTW, while under there remember, the taller lift you have the bigger tires you can fit. Bigger tires, easier it is to crawl under.:farmer:

not true. bigger lift only means bigger problems. the trick is to be low with big tires. bumpstops are your best friend.

Reread my post Ziggy. Bumpstops will do nothing for you when you crawl under your jeep. I am not talking about the crawl ability of the Jeep over other stuff. I am simply making a humor statement about your body fitting under the Jeep. I say its easier to crawl under to work on a Jeep with 8" of lift and 35" tires than a stock height Jeep with 235's, no jack.......

Quite true, nothing like being able to sit up while under the Jeep and working on it. On the other hand, having to stand on a milk crate to work on the engine is a PIA... and I am over 6ft tall.
DSCN0183.jpg

DSCN0184.jpg

Reread my post Ziggy. Bumpstops will do nothing for you when you crawl under your jeep. I am not talking about the crawl ability of the Jeep over other stuff. I am simply making a humor statement about your body fitting under the Jeep. I say its easier to crawl under to work on a Jeep with 8" of lift and 35" tires than a stock height Jeep with 235's, no jack.......

Quite true, nothing like being able to sit up while under the Jeep and working on it. On the other hand, having to stand on a milk crate to work on the engine is a PIA... and I am over 6ft tall.
DSCN0183.jpg

Now that is what I like. If you want to wheel or enjoy the pleasures of wheeling you have to take care of the wheeling equipment.

At 3.5" lift and 30 tires I could almost sit up under the XJ. I only pull the jack out if I am going to take a wheel off.

Ah yes.. We do speak the truth there.... Im 6'2 and can not lock the hood up unless I walk around the side.. 33's and ~5"..

Back