• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pressure. need help quickly.

Mitchen

NAXJA Forum User
88 cherokee 5 speed.

checked the oil 3 days ago and added some.
it overheated the other day so maybe it burnt up a bunch? not sure.
but i fixed the overheating problem.

now this morning it has no oil. is making a funky sound and the oil pressure goes up as high as it can.

did the oil pump go out or is it just doing this because there is no oil?

i was getting ready to head to school then it started doing this. i drove down the street 15 feet then shut it off.

Thanks,
Mitch

Doubt the oil burned off...
Either the oil leaked out onto the ground or it is in the coolant.
Remove the radiator cap (when cool) and check the coolant to see if there is oil in the water.
If there is.... more than likely you blew a head gasket and it is time to remove the head for repairs.

Charles

waterpump gasket. three of the four bolts were so loose i could take them out by hand and the gasket was falling out. fixed that and now it runs very cool.

the sound it was making i thought was a vacum leak so i checked everything and found the line from the map sensor to the throttle body had come off on the throthle body.

oil pressure seems to be back to normal. not really sure what was going on there?

Thanks,
Mitch

In your original post, you mention that "it has no oil". Did you have no oil level reading on the oil dipstick??

If oil level is good and you have intermittent high oil pressure readings, I would suspect the oil pressure sending unit, located directly above the oil filter. When they fail, they often read "high".

Back