• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with RE Extreme duty track bar mount

gameface87

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to pull the old mount off, and judging by how much rust is on these bolts, im pretty sure its going to be an ugly job. I want to replace the hardware, does anyone know what size to get? Thanks for your help!

Throw away the stock yuckie crap and replace the lower vertical bolts with some 7/16" or 1/2" Gr8 bolts. For the upper horizontal bolts, yank out the stock flimsy piece. take a small piece of 1/4" plate, drill two holes, and add in some more Gr8 bolts. DONE.

2mrfmts.jpg

Stock size is M12x1.75 or M12x1.5 (I can't remember which). It might not hurt to run a tap through the vertical weld nuts while you're in there.

What Ross did is nice and all, but I think the only thing you gain by doing that is new threads. The 1/4" plate doesn't buy you anything IMO.

Care to elaborate? I'm curious.

Care to elaborate? I'm curious.

Larger bolts and a firmer backing will provide better a clamping surface.

The bolts are bigger, yes, that'll give you more clamping force. But I was talking specifically about the 1/4" plate. I was getting at the fact that you could use 1/8" and it would work just as well. But whatever, these are jeeps. We're not all that concerned with pinching grams off.

foxwar71 are those the horizontal bolts shown in the picture? If so, what is the size of those? I've been looking for those bolts to fix my XJ's loose track bar mount.

I'm familiar with his setup enough to post this before (or if) he sees this thread again. They are indeed the horizontal bolts in the track bar bracket mount. I think the new stuff is gr. 8 1/2-13.

1/4" is always necessary .!.:D.!.

IIRC this upper piece also ties into/thru the stock frame-side motor mount brackets. 1/4" > 1/8" for stuff that is important and holds stuff.

The bolts are/were all Gr8 1/2-13 on mine. Its also nicer to elimate the crappy stock weld nuts for the lower, vertical bolts. Its easy for the stockers to break the little spot welds holding them on and like to spin in place. Again, you could build another 1/4" mounting tab since these bolts also help in holding the motor mount brackets.

Back