• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My First Jeep!

Voteban

NAXJA Forum User
I think this is where I need to post this... If not, do your thing mods :geek:

I just bought this today and I'm going to go pick it up on Saturday

ForSale-Outside.jpg

It's a 1987 and I think it's worth what I paid for it.

ForSale-Inside.jpg

Here's the ad:
$300 OBO. ***MECHANICS SPECIAL*** Needs a little work to run but would also make an excellent parts vehicle. Needs Crank Positions sensor ($24) and a little TLC to make perfect for driving. Tires are almost new with less than 1000 miles on them. Interior could use some help but is still very drivable.

KSL Specifications:

Body: SUV
Make: Jeep
Model: Cherokee
Year: 1987
Mileage: 274,000
Number of doors: 4
Exterior condition: 2 Good
Exterior color: White Tan
Interior condition: 4 Poor
Interior color: Tan
Type of engine: 4.0 L I6

Type of fuel: Gasoline
Type of transmission: Automatic
Drive Train: 4 Wheel Drive

I'm 16 and my job is going to school... So I only make a little bit of money here and there. My dad has done jeep and automotive stuff his entire life, so I'm 100% positive he could do anything that I need to do to this car with me.

Also, my cousin is an XJ guru and a very good resource / he has a junked 87 that I can grab parts off of.

When I talked to the guy he said it was driven as a daily driver by an old woman and serviced every 3k miles. He says that it has a "leaky main seal" and that needs to be replaced.

Is there anything that I should replace while I'm going through the motor and everything you SHOULD do when you buy an old car like this?

Modifications will come slowly, but as quickly as I can afford them :jester:
Planned mods:
3" lift... haven't decided on a specific one yet
33" meats (and some trimming)
4.56 gearing
Some sort of lockers (suggestions for my budget, and don't say lincoln lockers :gee:)

Thanks for looking - I'll try to take a lot of pictures along the way and I'll eventually move this into the modified tech section when I actually modify it...

All feedback and advice is appreciated! :yelclap:

Oh, and this is my all-time favorite book...:read:
CherokeeBook.jpg

I've seen some of the dudes in this book on this site... Like Badger... It's pretty sweet!

Last edited:
Some of the guys are local that have builds in the book. Eric used to live out here too. If you need any help with stuff/advice or whatever, look me up, I'm a manager at the AF Wendy's and i am there 50 hours a week, so chances are you can find me pretty easy. just look for this thing, and then find the tall goofy lookin dude named Jake.

DSC00696.jpg

I'll probably hit you guys up when I start lifting. Or at least come hang out at Wendys for a few hours and collect some info.

I've seen you in your jeep a few times XTurboJ, I really like it.

Back