• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Old Man Emu - Cutting off the dust shield?

Mtb Jak

NAXJA Forum User
I have the bent the dust shield on the shock and then made it worse trying to bend it back so it rubs the bottom of the shock when cycling thru.

Think it will work if I skillfully cut off the shocks upper part around the top under the weld on both shocks?

Also how do you tell if your steering stabilizer is blown? I dont remember if its supposed to try and retract of if it is neutral both ways.
67226_1478595249571_1374450182_31227584_2608142_n.jpg

73296_1478595489577_1374450182_31227586_5295890_n.jpg

:dunno:
Dont feel like ordering a new shock..

A steering stabilizer is neutral while compressing and expanding, honestly you dont even need the stabilizer if you have a vehicle that is aligned properly and all your joints are in good condition

I don't think it would be a horrible idea to cut it off but I would try to find some way to retrofit a shock boot to it to protect the piston itself from debris if you do, shock boots can be bought by themselves relatively cheap.

Ya the steering stabilizer sat in a box for a long while (no bracket with the RK steering) and then one day I found the right bracket online pretty cheap and bought it and put it on, didn't notice any difference but might as well put it back on if it isn't broke.

i've cut a few off just below the weld, never had any problems. forget the boot idea just don't worry about it all they do is hold in water/dirt/ etc and ruin the shaft quicker IMO

Looks like this will be done tomorrow.. hoping to get my front end back together this weekend.

i've cut a few off just below the weld, never had any problems. forget the boot idea just don't worry about it all they do is hold in water/dirt/ etc and ruin the shaft quicker IMO

x2, did this my shocks a couple years ago and never looked back.

Back