• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing my door

alek21

NAXJA Forum User
the previous owner of my mj somehow managed to tangle the seatbelt in the door jam and nader and now i cant open the door. i tried pulling it out and no luck. he cut it so there is barely any room to grab it. any suggestions on how to get it open? also i will be replacing the door. does anyone know the torx size for the bolts to take the door off? there are 3 on each hinge i believe.

thanks

T-55 or T-60, I forget which. Let me know if you need a hand.

mine were either t45 or t40, on the 89 and the 95. I can't remember for sure but im leaning towards t40.

Doh, Mike is right. For some reason, I was thinking about the huge torx on the oil filter adapter.

I'm tired...

So, your door is stuck because the seat belt is jammed in it, and you plan on replacing the door? Cut the door off...

T-55 or T-60, I forget which. Let me know if you need a hand.

will do thanks :yelclap:

mine were either t45 or t40, on the 89 and the 95. I can't remember for sure but im leaning towards t40.

yea i finally figured out its a t40

So, your door is stuck because the seat belt is jammed in it, and you plan on replacing the door? Cut the door off...

well i think im gonna have to cut it off. the last guy was a dumbass.. but i will be putting a new door on cuz its gonna be my dd..

how hard is it to swap the internals? if i get a bare door from the junkyard is it a pain to swap the window and all that stuff from my current door or should i just buy all the internals and whatnot with the door and make it easy on myself?

All the internals are fairly easy. I had to swap all the power window and door lock stuff into a replacement door that had manual controls. There are some big rivets that you need to drill and they can be replaced with small bolts.

Alek, let me know. We could knock it out in an hour. It's pretty easy to swap the internals.

thanks for the offer, but the mj is in phelan up in the IE, so i got a door from santa fe springs ecology and installed it today. i didnt know that the outside key hole is smaller on the newer ones, and i got the door from an older one that has the big hole.

If no one has screwed up the door sheetmetal already check this thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=244504235#post244504235

I have used that method to open several jammed doors now. With slight differences in the latch mechanism it is also just as effective on 97 and later XJs, the release tab is just a bit different.

That method will work no matter how rusty or jammed the mechanism is. You may need someone to push on the door from the outside while you pull up on the release tab and then pull the door open while you hold it up.

well the mechanism wasnt bad. there was a seatbelt wrapped in the latch/nader bolt and it just wouldnt open. i tried reaching inside and pulling on the latch with my hand but no go. so i had to cut it open from the outside and cut the latch off from inside the door..

Yeah... pulling on the bars won't do jack when it's jammed as you already discovered. The tab bypasses the entire latch mechanism and forces it to release, really. That tab is the one and only thing holding the swiveling latch piece back from turning/releasing.

Good luck getting a new door, I was gonna do exactly the same thing to my XJ right before I discovered how to force it to unlatch.

Back