• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just bought a 88 cherokee need some help

DaveVmax

NAXJA Forum User
ok this isnt my first cherokee but this my first pre 92 cherokee haha

what do i need to watch out for on these older engines (renix?)?

i noticed from my 92 to this 88 that it needs to crank a little before it finally kicks over.... could a cracked manifold cause that?

the plugs, wires, cap and rotor are fairly new and the fuel pump was just changed

also it idles at 1000rpm seems a little high any ideas?

oh yeah its a 4L

I'm curious to know I'm getting ready to pick up an 88 with 246K on it. I'm trading it for a 2wd full size truck of mine. I have owned many Cherokees but only one was this old and it ran great except for the chatty lifters. But, I don't want to get taken on it I need this as a DD.

Thay take longer to crank. Normal.

Most important thing to do is refresh all the grounds in the engine bay. The dipstick tube stud has wires connected there that are extremely critical. Remove, clean, polish, scrape til shiny. Do the same with each end of the braided cable from the back of the head to the firewall.

Clean the throttle body and IAC with oxygen sensor safe throttle body cleaner with the engine off.

Check all the vacuum hoses that run from the valve cover to air cleaner and intake manifold.

Snug up your intake manifold bolts with the engine cold.

This is for starters.

I am working on a Renix Sticky with some other members of this forum which will describe in detail, and in a prioritized list, what a Renix owner needs to do to their Jeep with little or no out of pocket expense, to ensure a happy ownership experience without throwing parts at problems. No time frame yet. We're in the planning/outline stages. In the meantime, do as suggested and if you need guidance, post up and we'll help ya.

Yep. The Renix system has to "spin up" to 300+ RPMs before the crank sensor can generate a signal strong enough for the ECU to recognize it and decide to fire the spark.

You can use a stronger battery, larger main cables, and a fresh starter to cut the time required to "spin up" down.

As for the idle--when? What transmission? The correct idle speed is 700-750 RPMs when the engine and transmission (auto) have been operated for 20 minutes, and the auto transmission is in DRIVE with the service brake applied. An auto equipped vehicle will idle higher than the 750 RPMs when in PARK or NEUTRAL.

Back