• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 JEEP CHEROKEE, TRANS MODULATOR??

The Badness

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1999 Jeep XJ Classic, I just recently replaced the harmonic balancer. In doing so, I removed the radiator and trans cooler in order to make room for working. I had to cut a trans line because I couldn't remove the clip. A small amount of trans fluid spilled out, it seemed a superficial amount (not even half a cup), so I patched the line when I was finished with my repair. The patch is holding (no leaks), but ever since I finished installation of the harmonic balancer, my transmission doesn't seem to want to stay in overdrive. Sometimes it will, but other times it just goes in and out of overdrive (erratically) while i'm driving. Is it the transmission modulator? My trans fluid level seems fine. Please help!

How are you checking your transmission fluid? Are you doing it with the transmission fluid warm, and while the engine is running in park or neutral?

For future reference, it is not necessary to remove anything to replace a harmonic balancer. But if you are going to remove anything, remove the bumper, so you can see a little better. The radiator was completely unnecessary.

I have a 1999 Jeep XJ Classic, I just recently replaced the harmonic balancer. In doing so, I removed the radiator and trans cooler in order to make room for working. I had to cut a trans line because I couldn't remove the clip. A small amount of trans fluid spilled out, it seemed a superficial amount (not even half a cup), so I patched the line when I was finished with my repair. The patch is holding (no leaks), but ever since I finished installation of the harmonic balancer, my transmission doesn't seem to want to stay in overdrive. Sometimes it will, but other times it just goes in and out of overdrive (erratically) while i'm driving. Is it the transmission modulator? My trans fluid level seems fine. Please help!

Probably not related to your work. I'd be more inclined to suspect the Throttle Position Sensor.

Probably not related to your work. I'd be more inclined to suspect the Throttle Position Sensor.

X2. There is no modulator on the AW4. It is totally computer controlled.

The transmission throttle cable adjustment can do this as well. But I agree with the previous post, it has to be the the ecm is getting bad info from something, but could also be the TC lock up solenoid.

I would check the the throttle cable adjustment and put a meter on the TPS first though.

Well I already replaced the TPS out of a suspicion...but nothing. now where would my TC lock up solenoid be located?

Well I already replaced the TPS out of a suspicion...but nothing. now where would my TC lock up solenoid be located?

All the AW4 solonoids (there are 3 total) are located inside the transmission. The pan will have to be removed. I would however suggest you take an Ohm meter to the wires that connect to the solonoids. They are accessable at the TCM or at the connector in the engine compartment passenger side. There was a post a few days ago indicating how to do this and what the reading/resistance should be.

Back