• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cutting Bolts

Nick

NAXJA Member #690
Has anyone ever had to cut the bolts that hold the leaf springs to the shackles and spring hanger? I got some bolts that won't budge even with an impact wrench! Any suggestions???

have you tried to heat them up with hot wrench (torch)

Keep soaking them with PB blaster and use a 26" breaker bar
and not the impact gun.

Mine were a PITA as well, but they finally turned with a rusty howling noise that woke up the dead.

If you have to, grind off nut end and pound it through.

If you don't have an oxy/acetylene setup, you could try to use a MAPP gas torch setup. MAPP burns a lot hotter than propane and you can get one of the auto-start heads and tank at walmart for $30.

I would try the heat first like PACJRUNNER suggested. If all else fails, you can try a nut splitter and I know those work quite well. Ask around at the auto parts stores if you can not find one.

Tom Dennis

yep, do the heat, I had one wednesday night that wouldn't come loose, I had a 18" breaker bar with a pipe on that and it wouldn't budge, I bent my S&K bar before I put heat on and it then broke free just fine.

Since I'm about to do the same thing I was wondering if anyone knew the torque specs for these bolts when I put the new shackles on.

Robert

one of my bolts was cold welded onto the metal sleeve that goes through the bushing, making it very hard to pull out of a hole that was a half centimeter smaller. had to cut it.

I've cut them off as well. I used a cutoff wheel on a air powered die grinder. It came apart easy enough after a few choice cuts.

Josh

Back