• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally found a problem couldnt search and answer

OutkastBoss

NAXJA Forum User
So my 01 xj Has allways been reliable.. (Edit please read to end it is oem question i swear) But After adding my winch and subwoofer . (dont think the winch is affecting since not in use).

But When listening to my radio i can watch the batt gauge go down to around 9 before my radio powers off and reboots.. this happens less without ac/heater on.

So i got a new battery (no not an optima) And am doing a 2ga welding wire main wires (ala 5-90). And picked up a 160a alternator from a 5.9 durango.

So i looked at MANY threads did my resarch decided how i was going to do it . Feeling confident i set up a time to do it all with a buddy tomorrow. so i came over to hang out and look over my notes with him.

So i Poked my head under and looked at the back of my alternator and For some stupid reason unclipped the plastic clip holding two wires (the ground?).. Battery connected and everything.. so i clipped it back in and now am STRANDED.. the starter isnt cranking even though i have 9v showing on gauge .. i even hooked up cables gauge jumped to 14 and all electronics working perfect but no crank from the starter..

So now that ive spent like 3 to 4 hrs searching on what i mightve done im asking for advice ..

Sorry so long. but to recap ALL I DID was unplug and replug the clip off wires..

Last edited:
also how the heck do i see the threads ive started im worried i wont be able to find the thread i looked in user cp didnt see it . found it by searching and tried to subscrive to it and it says it subscribes me then its not in the user cp.. this sites tough to figure out

if you have power then your ground is fine, personally id try whacking the starter/solenoid with some kinda metal object and see if it works. my starter was covered in oil when i got my xj and i eventually had to take it apart and clean all the contacts in it. but when it was dirty i would have power but it wouldnt turn over at all

EDIT: your thread will only be on like the second page at most within a day

if you have power then your ground is fine, personally id try whacking the starter/solenoid with some kinda metal object and see if it works. my starter was covered in oil when i got my xj and i eventually had to take it apart and clean all the contacts in it. but when it was dirty i would have power but it wouldnt turn over at all

Yea I bet my starters Filthy too but its allways worked im not shure that clip was the ground honestly there were two wires that went into the clip and also sperately was one of those screw on wire connections with the boot (positive i thought). We also tried whacking the starter/Solenoid as a buddys old heep had that problem. but no results from that either .. i feel like maybe i tripped a fuse ? or something in the computer? but fuses seemed ok.

doesnt really make sense that unplugging anything on the alt would even effect the starter. as long as your battery still has enough volts to turn the starter it shouldnt matter what the alt is doing. the alt isnt doing anything unless the motor is running. im thinking the issue is unrelated to the plug you messed with

Just for you info, 9 volts on the battery is not enough to get the computer to work and work with the sensors. With 2 gauge cables, it is however enough to get it to crank, but not to fire.

You can test the starter by taking the small terminal on the starter and jump it over to the big wire. That will make it crank. Remember have it in park or neutral. If you get no crank, then you either have a bad starter or the power or ground cables are bad.

Just for you info, 9 volts on the battery is not enough to get the computer to work and work with the sensors. With 2 gauge cables, it is however enough to get it to crank, but not to fire.

You can test the starter by taking the small terminal on the starter and jump it over to the big wire. That will make it crank. Remember have it in park or neutral. If you get no crank, then you either have a bad starter or the power or ground cables are bad.

X2

Thanks for the ideas Guys theyre muchly appreciated. I forgot all about Bridging the starter conections to get it to crank. that brought back an old childhood memory of my big brother showing me that..

SO even though I thought i had checked the Fuses i Rechecked the ones in the P.D.C. under the hood and lo and behold one blown 20a Maxi and a Blown 20 amd regular (Bus?)Fuse . Replaced and driven

Actually though mine will just barely start on 9 volts and stock wires and after it starts and turns the alt. i can drive.. But this is also coming from a dummy that just learned the hard way that if not getting enough power the Trans controller defaults to 4th..Im using a battery charger once a week to prevent it from dropping that low again.. (Edit) ive heard our guages can be inacurate tho and dont want to contradict your knowledge Ive read alot of your posts and you know what your talking about

I have my 160a durango alt. and in 2ga am doing the "big three" i guess its called but i have a list of 6 actually from looking at the different upgrade threads i saw for the power wires.. but this is the wrong forum for that. ill take pics.

eventually ill get around to my build thread ive taken lots o pics along my build. Thanx again guys

Last edited:
Go with the highest rated battery you can squeeze in and replace all 6 cables with 2awg.
Just be careful to provide strain relief for the starter motor solenoid connection or the weight will rip the terminal post right out of the plastic housing - trust me!

Go with the highest rated battery you can squeeze in and replace all 6 cables with 2awg.
Just be careful to provide strain relief for the starter motor solenoid connection or the weight will rip the terminal post right out of the plastic housing - trust me!
Thanx for the heads up hadnt thought of that ..

also on a side note Old Man I knew you were probably right i went out and relooked at the guage and i was counting wrong i had more like 11v. knew it was 3 notches down from center forgot center is 14

Back