• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake question?

91blackbox

NAXJA Forum User
i swapped out the bendix abs system and put in a booster setup. now it seems like the front brakes are dragging and i have to release the pressure at the bleeder to drain the pressure... we think the problem may be a stuck valve in the perportioning valve.. what do you all think???

forgot to mention its doing this after about 10 - 15 minutes of driving.. i start out with a soft pedal but good brakes... then after about 10 - 15 minutes the pedal is hard as a rock and crazy strong brakes and it seems that the front brakes are dragging... hmmm any ideas...

I have a proportioning valve from a non-ABS XJ that you can have for free, if you can get to the desert area to pick it up.

Sometimes deteriorating flex brake lines will develop little "flaps" in the line that act as check valves--might be time to replace those lines, front and back.

Ok, lets start from scratch:

Year of your XJ?

Year of the donor booster/MC/proportioning valve?

Is it possible there was a spacer you didn't use, making the rod too long so that there is pressure on the MC all of the time?

its a 91 and the donor equipment is also from a 91... it all seamed to fit perfect

ok drove it up and down the street.. brake pedal is soft and stops quick when all the way down but not much in the middle.. gonna try to rebleed in the morning if its not raining

well i got up this morning and looked over everything then tapped on the valve a bit and took her around town... brakes didnt lock up but they also didnt feel very strong.. so now to bleed again

well i got up this morning and looked over everything then tapped on the valve a bit and took her around town... brakes didnt lock up but they also didnt feel very strong.. so now to bleed again

You won't be getting much (if any) "lock up" with the single diaphragm booster. Little late, but the 95-96 dual diaphragm booster would have been the way to go for brakes you could "lock up".

Back