• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need a coolant fan switch for '88 Cherokee with a '91 T-stat housing ...

discokid

NAXJA Forum User
"What I want to do is completley disregard the RENIX lower cold side switch and install a switch on the 91+ thermostat housings that will come on at 215* and off at 195* or 200* like the corvette switch, thats currently not available anymore.. "

That's what I want to do. Put that newer housing on my 88 cherokee (will fit, of course) and put a coolant fan switch (3/8") in the sensor hole. I don't want to adjust the temp; just want my aux fan to come on when "hot".

Does the Napa FS107 work out and will it work for my application?
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=ECHFS107_0182396003

Can't find the Borg Warner TFS19 or NIehoff DR137XL parts and just want to move the fan switch over to the T-stat housing without doing anything more than hooking up the OEM relay harness to it.

thanks!

You want to relocate the Renix fan switch from the radiator to the thermostat housing. First, you need to find a fan switch that will fit in the housing sensor port that has the temp range you want. That may be harder than it sounds--try NAPA, they used to have hard catalogs with tons of sensors/switches, their mounting requirements, and their operating ranges.

If you can't find what you want, you can use a sensor, but you will have to use it to trip a relay because the sensor won't handle a load.

Good luck.

Did the same thing on (my)sons 87. I can,t remember the sensor we used but it was a Napa switch,and may have been the corvett one. It was a 2 wire sensor and worked the same as the stock one,like Joe said it trips the relay and fan runs.

Wayne

hit the closest parts store that still has paper catalogs and ask if you can flip through their illustrated guide for engine management parts. It will have pics of each one with a table containing thread size and the temps that they turn on and off.

I'm going to go with a NAPA ECH FS113 coolant fan switch with the FSC10 Connector - I like the temp on rating of 204-220 (some sites list it at 207-220). The highest temp rating on the Painless units are 195 and I think that might be too cold; so many have said that the I6 4.0 likes to see 210 degrees. The FS113 is a single wire unit (stock OEM is 2 wires) but I will get a 30 amp relay and have it wired up:

FS113 > FSC10 connector > 30amp relay > original 2-wire female connector (cut the wires and put it together).

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=ECHFS113_0217619799
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=ECHFSC10_0193310593

Can someone point me to a "correct" relay (probably a multi-function relay) that will work for this application?

If it's a 2 wire sensor, why can't it just trip the same relay that the stock radiator sensor did?

"The FS113 is a single wire unit"; need the relay to act as a switch for the single FS113 wire-to-dual wire OEM connector; two wires in to relay, one wire out (FSC10) to FS113.

30 amp relay? Part no.?

I need to make this thermostat/sensor change on my 87.

Where is the relay located between the factory radiator sensor location and the fan?

Did I read somewhere it is one of the relays on the passenger side fender well?

You want to relocate the Renix fan switch from the radiator to the thermostat housing. First, you need to find a fan switch that will fit in the housing sensor port that has the temp range you want. That may be harder than it sounds--try NAPA, they used to have hard catalogs with tons of sensors/switches, their mounting requirements, and their operating ranges.

If you can't find what you want, you can use a sensor, but you will have to use it to trip a relay because the sensor won't handle a load.

Good luck.

You'll have to use a relay anyhow - a CTS won't handle a load in the first place. However, you can use the extant RENIX fan circuit with some slight wiring modification.

The port on the later housing is 3/8" NPT, which is fairly standard for most coolant sensors. Check in the "truck accessories" section of your local parts house, you can often find adjustable coolant temperature switches there that are designed for use with vehicles that normally tow, and need adjustable cooling effort.

There are probably a couple of Chevvy parts that will also work, but that will require some trial and error (and cash outlay!) to determine. Cheaper to get the adjustable, set it, then figure out what's closest for later replacements.

I'm going to go with a NAPA ECH FS113 coolant fan switch with the FSC10 Connector - I like the temp on rating of 204-220 (some sites list it at 207-220). The highest temp rating on the Painless units are 195 and I think that might be too cold; so many have said that the I6 4.0 likes to see 210 degrees. The FS113 is a single wire unit (stock OEM is 2 wires) but I will get a 30 amp relay and have it wired up:

FS113 > FSC10 connector > 30amp relay > original 2-wire female connector (cut the wires and put it together).

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=ECHFS113_0217619799
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?R=ECHFSC10_0193310593

Can someone point me to a "correct" relay (probably a multi-function relay) that will work for this application?

I used the Napa parts and had a guy wire it all up - works perfectly!

Back