• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Gear whine

whitexj98

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a primary cause to gear whine when setting up gears? I just did 4:56s in the front and have awful gear whine, it sounds like you’re in 4 low and going fast, but if you put it in 4 hi the sounds goes almost completely away. The pattern looked in spec compared to the pictures in the service manual and backlash and turning tourq are within spec also. I’m just wondering if I should be looking at something more then others when i tear in down again...

98, aw4, d30, chy8.25

What brand gears did you use? Some bargain/budget gearsets are known for producing more noise than others.

What brand gears did you use? Some bargain/budget gearsets are known for producing more noise than others.
x2, my yukons were loud and howled

the ones i run now are much quiter (forgot what brand)

and when your in 2 wheel it howls?

Interesting. Me and a buddy installed 4.56 Nitro's in my d30 last night, I've yet to get it fully back together though so I cant tell you how mine sound yet wait until Wednesday when I get my locker back in and I can let you know how mine sound.

That's pretty odd, I've never heard of Nitros making a racket.

if you look at the teeth on the ring/pinion, any scratches or dings/dents/chips?

The pattern looked in spec compared to the pictures in the service manual and backlash and turning tourq are within spec also. ...

98, aw4, d30, chy8.25

How about real numbers,pics would help also.
Kinda sounds like a loose pinion.

Ryan, which set of axles were those Yukons in? The d30/8.25 or the d30/d44?

The whine can come from defects when they cut the gears that causes the tooth faces not to be perfect. A high spot on a tooth can cause it to have osculating whine noise at low rpm's. OR the ring and pinion gears are not perfectly matched together causing interference. You could put contact compound on all the teeth and see if any tooth has a different contact patterned than the rest.

At work we make semi axles and cut gears, Some bus company has us load test each gear set to make sure there is no noise before we ship. Some fail the test because the were cut out of spec, doesnt mean they are bad but it will make noise.

My front nitro gears in my Dana 30 make noise in 2wd and a lot more noise in 4wd. I had the installer re-set them up thinking he did something wrong and he inspected everything, noise didn't get any better and he found no issues with bearings or the gears. I then paid another gear installer to check over all the bearings and the install, he found no issues but set the gears up a little different. Noise was still present and obviously coming from the front axle gears, noted by me and the gear installer.

I have heard of 2 other people with noisy nitro Dana 30 gears, it's annoying.

Gear whine or noise should Not be able to be heard over a decent off road tire noise. If you do hear it, then the install was not correct.

Many factors can cause noise.
To loose of pinion preload is most common. But also carrier preload to loose(excessivly), too deep of pattern, way to shallow of pattern, and even bad bearings all together.

Gear companies get thier gears from the same factories, within reason. But Yukon takes a state side approach to actually doing quality checks in a state of the art facility. Where as Nitro just boxes em and ships em. No QC at all. Same with most all others also.

Just FYI...

I have seen this happen when the bearing cup for the inner pinion bearing was not fully seated. When the gears are put under a load the inner pinion bearing cup seats and the preload becomes too loose. I would check that.

When your in 4wd your gears are meshing differently, the load is transfered to the other side of the gear tooth face, where in your case, there was less imperfections in the machining. You might be forced to live with it, or start going crazy with some filing, lapping on gear faces, and endless set ups trying to get it right. I'd say sell them, and try a different set, you may try to do a warranty exchange (see if you can get away with it) and get a direct swap for another set of Nitro's, but you may end up in the same boat, or worse with the second set. I'd say go with a different brand altogether.

Back