• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stuck in parking lot. RIGHT NOW.

Nightfall

NAXJA Forum User
As I get into my jeep, I put the key into the ignition and turn it to ON. Not start, but on. About 2 seconds after sitting in the on position, the power cuts out. Now when I put the key in, I get power but when I turn to start, I get a click and power cuts out for about 3 seconds after I let go of the key.

Battery crosses my mind. Either way, I'm stranded and need ideas or help.

Battery, almost certainly.

I'm in Raleigh. You'd have better luck calling AAA :)

In any case, I'd look for a passerby to lend you a jump start. If your alternator's working properly, it should get you home. If the problem repeats itself while jumping it (with the cables connected and the donor car running), well, then it's likely something else.

Might also be your starter....

Sounds like a dead battery.

Before finding someone to jump you though, check the following:
* battery terminals - clean and tight?
* ground strap from firewall to rear driver side head bolt - connections tight, ground strap not cut/missing?
* ground wire from battery negative to screw in fender - connections tight, wire not missing?

If either of those is bad, the vehicle will run, usually fine but sometimes pretty badly. If both are missing you will have all manner of strange electrical gremlins and problems.

Back