• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

somethings squealing

acannell

NAXJA Forum User
and it aint piggy

'89 xj

squeak squeak squeak while the engine is idling

sounds like its coming from the center front of the engine

at idle, it squeaks maybe 4 times a second..doesnt seem to correlate to any of the pulleys, which are spinning much faster..or am i wrong? lets see idle rpm of 900, so thats 15 revs per second...about 1/4th of that speed would be the squeak speed...maybe it is one of the pulleys....

the squeak goes away instantly if you just BARELY open the throttle and raise the idle rpm up a few hundred rpm

or maybe the timing gear area?

I had a brand new belt do that-- the silk screened print on the back of it would make a chirping noise every time it crossed a pulley. A little 220 grit sand paper shut it up for the life of the belt.

I'd shoot for a pulley... how does your harmonic balancer look? when replacing the serp belt on my old 89 I noticed the HB had some rubber hanging out... wasn't causing an issue but replaced it anyways to prevent any future issues.

^^belt could be an issue too... doesn't hurt to replace if it's old anyways

what about the harmonic balancer? apparently the "rubber ring" comes apart and lets the balancer pulley rub on the timing cover? there is definitely some rubber coming out of the harmonic balancer...whats that for anyway?

I'd shoot for a pulley... how does your harmonic balancer look? when replacing the serp belt on my old 89 I noticed the HB had some rubber hanging out... wasn't causing an issue but replaced it anyways to prevent any future issues.

i think thats it...whats the deal with rubber in that pulley?

They get old and rot--just like me!

Grab your mandatory 3', 1/2" or less I.D. vinyl tubing tool, stick one end in one of your ears and move the other end around the engine until you isolate the source of the squeak.

Standard WARNING about flesh, clothing, and moving engine parts applies.

Not sure why the used rubber in the older HB's... the one I got new from Schucks didn't have rubber, just metal of some sort. Supposed to have a lifetime warranty.

I've never heard of anything other than injection molded rubber between the rings-- manufacturer or part number of said balancer??

yep it was the HB. replaced it. squeak gone.

the old HB had chunks of rubber missing and falling out.

as far as I know, an HB requires more than just mass to function. it needs a mass and an energy absorbing material, hence the rubber.

Back