• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bad idea to helicoil steering box threads?

latenights

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1996 xj and i just recently got a JCR prerunner front bumper. When i was mounting the tie in brackets, I got the bottom 2 bolts for the steering box in no problem but i spent 30-40 min trying to get the top bolt to go in straight. After about 40 min i ended up cross threading the threads on the box so the bolt was going in croooked. For temporary (very temporary) fix so I didn't have a ton of play in my steering i got a few washers to make a spacer between the head of the bolt and the tie-in bracket and tightened the bolt to the spacers. The only thing i can think of is drill out and re-tap the steering box or get a helicoil kit and go from there. Im not going to be wheeling with the steering box like this but I do have a 5 hour road trip to VA (stopping at the Marine Corps museum onthe way:thumbup:) with my girl and 2 of our friends so i want to make sure its ok to drive on.

Either method would be fine,even on a permanent basis.

I'm an engineer and machinist. I have used Helicoils for decades. They will work fine. I would however recommend using Loctite on the insert when you install it.

Helicoil will probably be fine, but in an application like that I'd be more inclined to go with something like a Timesert.

A timesert would remove to much material,the ears on the steering box are not that large to begin with.The next size tap would be better than that without removing to much "meat".
Also size availabilty might be an issue(Ive been down this road with Northstar's before),some of the timeserts/taps are "exclusive" and cannot be purchased separately anywhere.

Last edited:
Back