• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need to replace muffler... DIY guidance needed

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

The muffler on my 2001 XJ is extremely rusted... As in leaking-water-out-of-holes-near-the-front-of-the-muffler-and-peeling-apart-like-a-banana rusted (sorry, no pics at the moment). At this point, the catalytic converter looks good, so I'd like to replace my muffler and tailpipe.

I know the muffler should be bolt-on (via the 2-bolt flange on the output of the cat), however, I'm not so sure about the tailpipe. Is this piece only weld-on or can I use clamps to make the union? That is, is the front of the tailpipe expanded a bit to slide onto the output of the muffler?

I have absolutely zero welding experience at this point and would like to avoid taking it to a shop, so feel free to chime in. Thanks!

buy the "direct fit" muffler and tail pipe from the same company (Maremont, Walker, etc) and they will be designed to fit together. Welding creates a more durable union, but clamps will hold for regular use.

Gotcha, cool deal. Are the "direct fit" mufflers likely to have the bolt-on flange on the input side? Pics don't seem to tell the whole story (then again, they're likely generic photos).

I think there's three parts (haven't looked at it in a while)-- extension pipe, muffle, and tail pipe. The extension pipe would have the bolt-on flange on it.

oh yeah, you've got that "new" stuff.... muffler should bolt at the flange ant the tail pipe will be sized to allow an exhaust clamp.

I keep forgetting that everybody doesn't have a Renix.....

Hahaha, no sweat. I'll give this stuff a shot... I looked around at aftermarket mufflers (I've always loved Hooker's products) but honestly can't stand the sound of any of the aftermarket 4.0 exhaust systems I've heard... Even Hooker's was a letdown:

http://s329.photobucket.com/albums/.../?action=view&current=JeepXJHookermuffler.flv

This is with all stock exhaust, except the muffler (AeroChamber).

Ultimately, I guess I like the stock exhaust note.

*EDIT* That's actually a 2.5" Magnaflow exhaust system/tailpipe but with an AeroChamber. I wonder if the tone would be a little more subdued with the 2.25" stock exhaust system...

Last edited:
I installed my flowmaster muffler and Rusty tail pipe myself. I clamped it all together then took it to a local muffler shop and had them weld it all in place for like 30 bucks. I figured for a few bucks might as well get rid of the clamps and have it welded. I'm not a big fan of Rustys but the tailpipe was really nicely made with mandrel bends. Mines is a few years old now and still looks fine no rust or anything.

I'm not sure if what I took off was original because I had to hack off the old muffler and tail pipe with a sawzall. I left the cat in place though but I seem to remember it being welded in place.

Back