• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tfer case disassembly problem, Help please

GoBlue

NAXJA Forum User
Im doing the SYE on my 00 and got to the part of removing the long OEM shaft housing for the main shaft. I got the bolts out and retainer ring, etc, but the cover is stuck on the shaft really good. How can I remove it. Ive beat the living daylights out of it and still nothing. Im saying, I broke the seal and its spinning freely on the shaft, only went about 1/4 inch. Cant say shaft enough :)

May be hanging up on the pump,try gently tap on the end of the output shaft.

The tolerances between the main shaft and the rear output bearing are extremely close (to prevent rattling), so you basically need to find the "sweet spot" for it to slide off. Firmly grab opposite sides of the retainer/housing and gently (but firmly) work it back and forth. You may eventually feel a sweet spot - that is, a range of motion that has considerably less resistance (though very, very small). Once you find this range, start pulling it off the shaft.

Back