• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my bumper build

rkates

NAXJA Forum User
After getting a deal on a winch I couldn't put it off any longer. So the tools came out and I went to work. I was inspired by Twisted cab's build so you may see some simularitys. Started by stripping down the nose
100_7580.jpg

From there took alot of measurements and built a couple brackets to tie it in the frame. Each side is 1'6'' long so I have quite a few mounting points.(no pics) I decided I wanted this recessed in as much as possible. I ended up with the bumper out past the grill 2 1/2''.
100_7585.jpg

set the winch on top to give myself an idea of how far out it will be when finished
100_7586.jpg

Removed the bumper and started cutting and installing the winch plate
100_7587.jpg

just to show you how much of the front crossmember needed to be cut.
100_7583.jpg

After a little tweeking here and there I got it all back on the jeep and set the winch on it to cut the grill
100_7590.jpg
and after a little paint to seal whats there so far
100_7595.jpg

Thats all for now but the plan is to add an apron to the bottom.

With the winch in its resting spot I have 3/4'' between the closest part of the winch and the radiator. Oh and here is a pic winch installed with grill from the top to give you an idea of how tight it is
100_7591.jpg

So tell me what you think

Havn't been able to do anything lately, not sure how soon I'll be able to finish so I went ahead and put some color on it and mounted the winch

Like the monster $50 dollar winch:greensmok
100_7613.jpg

Everything is made from 1/4''.(wanted the main structure to be solid) As of right now the passenger side has 6 bolts and the drivers side has 7. 3 being the gearbox. When I get back to it I'll lighten up up the skirt to help keep the weight down.
Surprising enough the bumper is no where near as heavy as I expected.(I think the winch is heavier)

Looks good Robert, I wouldn't expect anything less.! :cheers:

dang i think that little tiny winch should pull the xj just fine:roflmao:if youre tryin to pull it in half bumper looks good though

how do you like those tires so far? i just put a set on my rig havent really had a chance to test em out alot what size are yours?

Thanks Aaron

dang i think that little tiny winch should pull the xj just fine:roflmao:if youre tryin to pull it in half bumper looks good though

how do you like those tires so far? i just put a set on my rig havent really had a chance to test em out alot what size are yours?

I love the tires, Run out real nice on the road and off road they are great. I'm running the 33's. Looking at the 35's for the next set

Nice job.

Back