• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Advice on shocks - I'm clueless

Mighty.Mighty_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I usually search, but I'm really short on time here, so can someone throw me some ideas?? Pretty please ...
My new springs were installed a day ago & now it seems my OME long travel shocks are too short! I'm adding Detours rear shock extenders to the rear, but any ideas what I can do for the front besides getting new shocks? I want to keep the OMEs. No time to mess with removing a leaf from the spring pack or anything like that. I'ma need the solution in my hands by Tuesday or Wed morning because the Jeep goes on the trailer on Wed, and there's much to do between now & then.

Any ideas? :rattle:

I usually search, but I'm really short on time here, so can someone throw me some ideas?? Pretty please ...
My new springs were installed a day ago & now it seems my OME long travel shocks are too short! I'm adding Detours rear shock extenders to the rear, but any ideas what I can do for the front besides getting new shocks? I want to keep the OMEs. No time to mess with removing a leaf from the spring pack or anything like that. I'ma need the solution in my hands by Tuesday or Wed morning because the Jeep goes on the trailer on Wed, and there's much to do between now & then.

Any ideas? :rattle:

Why do you think the shocks are too short ?

:)
Fred

How much extra length do you need? Bar pin eliminators will give you an extra 1".

The JKS BPEs will not work with OME's according to their site. But IRO makes some that should work. Or you could make your own?

detours now makes a reocator for the frt now you could check that out

Why do you think the shocks are too short ?

:)
Fred
Because they are. When they over extend on a speed bump i think it's a good indication. My stupid 4.5" springs + shackle relocation bracket + shackles have me at 7" lift. I'm so mad I could throw up. Hoping they will settle, but due to my schedule & Rocktoberfest there's precious little time for major changes until after I return.

JW - no time, skill or means to make my own. I'll look into IRO.

ROBZ - Mark (@ Detours) overnighted me some relocators for the rear on Friday. He said nothing about the front ... I'll call him on Monday.

Doesn't anyone else make a different type of BPE that will fit OMEs?
Anyone else with other ideas?

Because they are. When they over extend on a speed bump i think it's a good indication. My stupid 4.5" springs + shackle relocation bracket + shackles have me at 7" lift. I'm so mad I could throw up. Hoping they will settle, but due to my schedule & Rocktoberfest there's precious little time for major changes until after I return.

JW - no time, skill or means to make my own. I'll look into IRO.

ROBZ - Mark (@ Detours) overnighted me some relocators for the rear on Friday. He said nothing about the front ... I'll call him on Monday.

Doesn't anyone else make a different type of BPE that will fit OMEs?
Anyone else with other ideas?
could you run a smaller shackle in the rear or adjust the shackle angle to lose lift? also toss like 500 lbs of stuff n the back to help break in the springs

I wish - I'm running Iron Man shackles with 0-3" lift dialed all the way down (specially made shorter for me). Plus I would have to get someone to put them on for me ...

Angle's been adjusted.

JKS BPE's do work with OME shocks, it just takes a little more force to put them together because the bushings are slightly smaller. I've been running them together for about 5 years, no problems.

In the back you can raise the lower shock mounts higher. Search for it on go-jeep's writeups. You just hack off the part of the mount that has the stud and weld it on higher, or buy JKS shock mounts.

No idea for the front, but what does that have to do with leaf springs?

In the back you can raise the lower shock mounts higher. Search for it on go-jeep's writeups. You just hack off the part of the mount that has the stud and weld it on higher, or buy JKS shock mounts.

No idea for the front, but what does that have to do with leaf springs?
My shock mounts have been raised for some time now. They can't go any higher without being on the top of the axle tube. Regardless, with very little time, no welding ability or equipment, this is moot. Anything to do with welding is out until I get back.
What I'm saying is that with 7 inches of lift I need longer shocks, but I need a quick fix before Thursday morning. Emphasis on "quick". Is there something you're missing? I don't think I can make it any clearer. With my jam packed days including last minute trip details, there's no time for researching new shocks, major adjustment of the suspension or anything greatly time consuming.

Heck, I'm posting in the middle of the night as it is ...

Try taking a leaf out to lower the pack. Or build a bastard pack

My shock mounts have been raised for some time now. They can't go any higher without being on the top of the axle tube. Regardless, with very little time, no welding ability or equipment, this is moot. Anything to do with welding is out until I get back.
What I'm saying is that with 7 inches of lift I need longer shocks, but I need a quick fix before Thursday morning. Emphasis on "quick". Is there something you're missing? I don't think I can make it any clearer. With my jam packed days including last minute trip details, there's no time for researching new shocks, major adjustment of the suspension or anything greatly time consuming.

Heck, I'm posting in the middle of the night as it is ...

Are you still running front shocks with the stem at the top (and not an eye)? I have seen/used stem extenders in the past to gain an extra 2" of travel. They just screw onto the existing shock stem. I have seen them at Pep Boys too, so they are easy to find. I might even have aset around here somewhere, I'll have to look....

A.

Back