• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaf spring through floorboard

4x4troy

NAXJA Forum User
ok the mount that the front of my leaf spring bolts to on the drivers side is well broke, bent and rusted.it looks as if someone tried to reinforce it at on time with some plates...both dr and pass side has the plates...here are some pics to show it better...the spring has came through the floorboard....any ideas how i can fix this?????

here is the under shot
100_0053.jpg

100_0054.jpg

from the inside
100_0058.jpg

100_0057.jpg

Last edited:
Cut off the mount, cut you bad rust spot, take a wire wheel to the other rust spots that have not gone through the body/frame, plate and add sheet metal to the areas with holes.

I that is that bad, you should seriously inspect the whole vehicle for rust becuase you most likely have other spots like this around the vehicle that could create a potentially dangerous situation.

I have similar rust on my 96. The spring went through the floor partially when I was installing the lift. The floors in the front (under the footwells) and the floors/frame in the rear under the cargo area were also rusted badly.

Mine is a condemned vehicle and will be retired as soon as I finish beating the crap out of it offroad. It is simply not worth repairing fully. I bought a 98 for a thousand dollars with no rust and some assembly required and will be swapping everything over; you could probably pick up a rust free XJ out of Georgia/the Carolinas/Tennessee for 300 bucks with a shot drivetrain and swap everything over and come out WAY ahead. Believe me, it's not worth the work dealing with rust like that on a unibody.

where did the bolt that used to be in the bushing go??

How did it move up into the floor without the inner bolt hole tearing?

x2 :confused:

It looks like the bolt was loose or something and simply popped out. Theres no way the spring eye would smash up in there like if there was a bolt present. Theres no ripped area around the weldnut and theres not bolt pieces inside the bushing it looks like, so the bolt didnt sheer.

Some Poly Performance brackets are sexy or you could make your own.

Same thing happened to my buddys xj. Cut every speck of rust off and weld in new metal. It's fixable for sure, and not as hard as you think. Just depends if the rest of the jeep is worth the effort.

Starting over is a good idea sometimes, but if this is the only major problem I'd bust out the sawzall and grinder instead of your wallet

jbsjunk...thank you for that site...thats what i will do.yes it has rust but i am confident i can fix that.i can do sheetmetal and welding so i will be doing most of the work.

i will fix it.the bolt broke thats how the spring got into the floorboard.and i just got this jeep yesterday so i am still finding things wrong...but none of it scares me bad..some of it is alittle " wow thats going to be fun to fix" situation.it has some electrical issuses but what jeep does not,lol.i will be replacing ALL metal that has any rust whats so ever.i really dont want to swap these parts over to a rust free jeep...whats the fun and challenge in that.thanks everyone for the replys.i will keep you up to date the best i can as i make progress on this thing.

And Jeep means Just Empty Every Pocket. I'm doing it as well as most everyone here. If you have the tools and skills, fix it and move on.

clunker....whatever,it needs some metal work big deal.i aint scared.i am a true 4x4'er...stuff breaks(rots) i will fix it.it runs great and everything eles except no wipers but thats an easy fix.now i am going to get the poly kit and build my jeep.

yes just empty every pocket is very true...i have had 10 jeeps now
1)74 cj5
2)04 tj
3)95 zj
4)93 zj
5)91 xj
6)96 zj
7)92 xj...current one
8)88 mj
9)88 xj chief
10)85 j10
and every one of them was modded exept the 93 zj.i got my current xj for a really good price so i can spend some money on it a still be happy.plus i can make it what i want.thanks for the inputs but please dont tell me to junk it.this jeep is still alive...just wounded.its getting treatment now.

You should see what happened to one of the jeepspeed rigs when that bolt snapped, it beat a softball sized hole through the floorboard. Those poly performance mounts are probably your best bet, I was looking into a set awhile back but I've since decided to just 4link the rear and run coilovers :D

yeah i was looking at the website...long arm brackets....all kinds of stuff.this is where most of my rebuild stuff will come from...thank you big time for the headsup

I still think you should scrap that shell and replace it, but hey, I've been where you are right now :thumbup: I fixed mine enough to keep it together, sleeved 3 feet of the rear right frame rail with 3x6x1/4" box, replaced all the floors from the bench seat back with 16ga sheet, completely replaced the rear shock crossmember with 2x2x1/4 box tubing (welded to a fish plate on the frame rail I didn't sleeve), rebuilt the gas tank supports, etc. It was a great learning experience and I could probably finish the rest of the rig and make it as good as new, but never again, just not worth the effort. One of those things I'm glad I did but will not repeat.

I just hate sheetmetal, especially rusty sheetmetal. Welding to it is extremely frustrating, I hate having a bead going just fine and then suddenly blow through because I don't realize the metal went from normal to paper thin due to a rust spot on the other side.

Keep an eye on things as you're welding those mounts on... the frame will sometimes look fine on the outside but be rotten on the inside, and you'll blow through it like butter. If that happens, use fish plates across the spot where you blew through - thinner ones, say 1/8", with plenty of rosette welds. Make sure you turn the heat down from what you had it at for the 1/4" (don't ask :gag:) if you end up doing this, and try to avoid vertical welds, stick with rosettes/plugs and horizontal welds when possible.

Back