• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just broke the oil filter in the 242...

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
So I have my case apart to replace the oil pick-up tube and filter that were lost and destroyed in my case (along with removing the pieces) and I managed to snap the replacement oil filter I had trying to fit it on the rubber hose.

I'm considering just saying screw it, and putting it all back together without the hose or filter...now that I no longer have a filter. But what do you guys say? Has anyone run without the hose/filter for awhile?

I don't intend on this case lasting me years and years, I'd be happy if I get another two years out of it though.

So I have my case apart to replace the oil pick-up tube and filter that were lost and destroyed in my case (along with removing the pieces) and I managed to snap the replacement oil filter I had trying to fit it on the rubber hose.

I'm considering just saying screw it, and putting it all back together without the hose or filter...now that I no longer have a filter. But what do you guys say? Has anyone run without the hose/filter for awhile?

Don't do it. More:

I don't intend on this case lasting me years and years, I'd be happy if I get another two years out of it though.

When the SYE was installed on my original 242, the shop that did the work screwed up reassembly of the case. Not only did they crush the oil slinger, but they also managed to break the pickup tube. End result: less than 48 hours and 75 miles after I got it back from them, the whole damn thing seized up at 70mph on the freeway. This in turn lead to snapping the rear output yoke, which dropped my brand-new 2-piece driveshaft onto the pavement.

If you've never had the fun of having to conduct a 5-lane emergency sweep to the right shoulder while losing forward momentum during L.A. rush hour traffic as the rear driveshaft flails around under your Jeep (taking out the catalytic converter, downstream oxygen sensor, and part of the exhaust into the bargain), this would be a great way to set yourself up for the experience without the trip South ;)

I did the same maneuver casm, I ended up stranded in east LA though when the ujoint at the rear axle split. nothing says fun like BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG of the driveshaft and trying to get to the offramp :D

Ok well good to hear some real life experiences as to why it's a good thing I put the filter in.

Just finished throwing the rear cover on. I spent some time looking at the filter and realized it's designed to separate from the hose end of it's self...I imagine to clean crap out from the filter. So I popped it all back together, with my 242 still under the rig. And yes, I did install the filter. Luckily this made me stop and look at things though, as I noticed my pump had a nice crack on the outside which would explain why so much ATF was being spit back out the back of the case. I just snagged the old pump off my old 242 and threw that in.

Moment of truth will come later after I let the RTV dry. According to the tube, this stuff wont fully settle till 24 hours though...so looks like I wont get to find out till I commute to school/work on Monday.

I did the same maneuver casm, I ended up stranded in east LA though when the ujoint at the rear axle split. nothing says fun like BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG of the driveshaft and trying to get to the offramp :D

Ugh, that sucks. Mine was on the 210 Eastbound just past the second Rosemead exit, IIRC. The woman in the Lexus who was trying to ignore my hazard lights and cut me off as I was coasting over to the shoulder got a valuable lesson in 'not gonna happen' that time, and the sound a driveshaft makes as it bangs back-and-forth between the pavement and the underside of an XJ is really kind of interesting ;)

One thing I forgot to mention in the original reply: although the shop fixed everything at their expense, they evidently didn't do one important thing that I told them to, which was to source a replacement transfer case. Two years later (and now living on the other side of the country), I found out exactly where the case body had been weakened in the first incident when it finally cracked on me - again, on the freeway at 70mph but this time an hour from home. Fortunately, despite it leaking like a sieve from the top of the case (had it been from anywhere else, I would have been well and truly screwed), I was able to limp it back this time.

rap out from the filter. So I popped it all back together, with my 242 still under the rig. And yes, I did install the filter. Luckily this made me stop and look at things though, as I noticed my pump had a nice crack on the outside which would explain why so much ATF was being spit back out the back of the case. I just snagged the old pump off my old 242 and threw that in.

Good call. I'm a firm believer in just doing it right the first time - few things get under my skin more than having to redo a job that could have been done properly on the first go-around. Let us know how it works out once the RTV's cured.

Last edited:
Good call. I'm a firm believer in just doing it right the first time - few things get under my skin more than having to redo a job that could have been done properly on the first go-around. Let us know how it works out once the RTV's cured.

Generally I try to do that now, after going through so many build stages on my Jeep. But at the end of the day, I'm still another college kid who doesn't make a ton of money. So my current fix will just have to last me till I can afford something better.

Figures though, everything is pretty much buttoned up but the darn rear bearing on the main shaft. I can't get it to seat enough to fit the snap ring on. I've been pounding away at it and haven't gotten it to budge, it's super close too (I could probably fit a thin snap ring on). I cut my SYE so that the rear yoke pressed up against the bearing, so I might be able to get away without a snap ring. But at the end of the day, that's far less preferred than having the proper parts on in the first place.

Back