• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pitman arm question

angrygiant

NAXJA Forum User
ok so im in the process of lifting my XJ when shes done she`ll be at 5.5-6in and i know i will have to get a new pitman arm so i can even get outta my driveway. im not sure how to go about getting one is a drop pitman arm just one size or are they sized for the amount of lift? im also working on a budget being that im a poor college kid so if anyone has one they want to sell or knows where i can get a quality part for a good price please let me know.
thanks. Brian

ok so im in the process of lifting my XJ when shes done she`ll be at 5.5-6in and i know i will have to get a new pitman arm so i can even get outta my driveway. im not sure how to go about getting one is a drop pitman arm just one size or are they sized for the amount of lift?

Pitman arms come in varying amounts of drop; this is so they can better be matched to the steering geometry as dictated by the lift.

I got mine from Rubicon Express (http://www.rubiconexpress.com/). Check out what they have on the website by all means, but I'd recommend giving them a call and asking what works for the amount of lift that you net.

For what its worth I've had three jeeps ranging from 3" to 5.5" and i've never ran a drop pitman arm

drop pitman arms are used with drop tracbar brackets to keep angles the same, has nothin to do with lift hight

A lifted XJ runs out of TRE droop at the pitman arm, limiting the droop and damaging to the TRE.
One fix is a drag link with the TRE set a better angle. The Currie drag link/tie rod address his problem.
http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/product.aspx?id=1219
Changing the pitman is done with trac bar lift, when the trac bar axle mount is moved to the top of the axle. A dropped pitman is used to keep the drag link angle the same as the new trac bar position, the two should be parallel to reduce bump steer.

Back