• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing Rear Pinon Nut

scott00tj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to replace the pinon seal on my '99 Cherokee's 8.25” rear axle. I cannot get the pinon nut off! It's not like a reverse thread or something I am just over looking right? Right now it's soaking in PB Blaster. Any other tips or ticks you can suggest?

impact or a lot of leverage and something strong to hold the yoke.

Crank the shit out of it. They're on there pretty good, a few hundred ft-lbs iirc. I can usually remove them by lying sideways under the jeep, putting my knees/feet on the sidewall of a tire, and hauling on my breaker bar. Depending on how rusty it is, might take two arms...

Use a new pinion nut when you reinstall it, preferably... only a couple bucks each.

From recollection (which is shaky) the nut is on at like 200-250 ft-lbs of torque. In other words, get a huge breaker bar and a strong buddy.

set the parking brake (to keep wheels from turning), jack rear wheels off ground, place breaker bar on nut (angled toward drivers side), and lower Jeep-- let the weight of the Jeep and gravity work for you.

I doubt the brakes will hold enough to get the job done.I do alot of gear work so I made a yoke tool.Also the 8.25" is a "crush-sleeve" axle so you should consider installing a new one.
P1060035.jpg

GOT IT! Took lots of PB blaster, a 3/4” breaker bar with the handle to my jack on the end for additional leverage, my impact wrench fully charged, a Budweiser, and one missed off backyard mechanic.

Now for the yolk.....

XJs came with working handbrakes? Was that from the factory? :D

mine were far from "as factory delivered" when I got 'em, so I can't vouch for the original effectiveness. The design definitely works (all mine hold great, now), but for some reason I've never bought one that functions when I get it.

XJs came with working handbrakes? Was that from the factory? :D
yeah but I'm pretty sure it was only there to satisfy legal requirements.

Do yourself a favor and buy a seal ripper... it's like an 8 dollar tool from whatever auto parts store you like and is worth its weight in gold. Basically just a handle with two evil looking hooks on either side, pulls seals in a matter of seconds.

http://www.amazon.com/KD-Tools-3245-Seal-Puller/dp/B002XMW9R0

hahahtry to crush a crush sleevei is worse.. .. u can also use a pry bar to take the seal off works just as well as a seal puller ..i do gears everyday and i use a 4 foot prybar lol

Last edited:
Jam one of the hooks under the seal by putting it through the yoke opening, then lever the other against the outside of the seal. Make sure you get it far enough under that the hook grabs the metal of the seal not just the rubber. Should pop right out with a decent pull.

well some times there tough cause they usually got locktite on them welll.. i hope it does.. cause they do from the factory ..get ur biggest pry bar and use it the same as the seal puller and just pry from side to side .. bend the crap outta it if u have 2 .

well some times there tough cause they usually got locktite on them welll.. i hope it does.. cause they do from the factory ..get ur biggest pry bar and use it the same as the seal puller and just pry from side to side .. bend the crap outta it if u have 2 .

I'll give it a shot. I'm just afraid of damaging something.

Back