• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sway bar end links hitting coils

iwannadie

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced my sway bar bushing with poly bushings a while back and had a little trouble aligning things but didn't think much of it. Right after the new bushings I started to get a weird thumping under my feet on rare occasions. It's finally bugged me enough to go and look what's causing it.

I am certain my sway bar end links are making contact with the coil springs on both sides. I can see the rub marks and the thump has almost a spring (boi-oi-oi-oi-ing) feel to it as they hit each coil.

I tried loosening the sway bar body mounts and sliding the sway bar forward(away from the coils) but they are as far forward as the mounts allow. As seen in the above link the bushing mounts are slotted and allow movement but not enough. It looks like I need another 1/4-1/3 inch or so to ensure no contact.

Has anyone run into that problem with these bushings? There doesn't seem to be enough material to grind away and allow more adjustment with the bushings. I replaced my lower control arm bushings and plan to do the uppers this weekend, could bad uppers allow enough axle movement to add to this problem?

You will be asked what lift (if any) you are running and other suspension mods you have made. More info is always helpful.

If these bushings are taller, perhaps the end links ended up in a different position. Do you have adjustable end links, or are you running stock? Changing the length and/or position of the links may give you the needed clearance.

After installation of my 5.5" SA lift, my end links contacted my coils. For that reason, a set of sway bar relocation brackets were included in the kit. Those brackets move the sway bar down and forward by an inch.

You will be asked what lift (if any) you are running and other suspension mods you have made. More info is always helpful.

If these bushings are taller, perhaps the end links ended up in a different position. Do you have adjustable end links, or are you running stock? Changing the length and/or position of the links may give you the needed clearance.

After installation of my 5.5" SA lift, my end links contacted my coils. For that reason, a set of sway bar relocation brackets were included in the kit. Those brackets move the sway bar down and forward by an inch.

Yea my bad after I posted I realized I should have put more info. Everything is stock, only thing I changed were the the sway bar bushings. I searching and didn't see anything, over in the modified threads I saw it was common after lifting. Being I'm stock height I found it to be odd.

Looking at it though it really seems the body mounts just moved the sway bar back just a hair more than stock. The end link bushings themselves didn't seem any bigger or small than the stock ones I removed.

Ninja edit/full disclosure:
97 country 4.0, 4wd, stock suspension/steering

Last edited:
If I recall, the sway bar mounts pass through some thin sheet metal, right? Can you simply drill new holes and locate them an inch back? If not, this is a good time to find yourself some adjustable end links (JKS Discos, for example). You should be safe running sans sway bars until you figure this out. Just find a way to tie up your sway bar so it does not interferre with your springs.

Yea I thought about relocating the mounts just wasn't sure if it should be needed or if there is someone else ran into this and found another solution. Maybe using stock bushing brackets with the new bushings inside or something. I was also looking for maybe confirmation that the upper control arm bushings might be a factor cause I have those ready to go in maybe this weekend.

I was also thinking bout the JKS discos as they do make them for 0-3" lift. I was worried they would be worse though being longer to accommodate for the 3" lift even if I use the lowest setting.

I'm not worried about running with it connected it only makes contact under rare occasions that I can duplicate on certain roads. Deep pot holes or speed bumps(going fast) don't seem to cause it actually it's strange.

There is an offset to the links, they are not straight up & down. Did you flip the link so that it bows closer to the spring? If so... flip it again.

are you sure the frame mounts are equal distance between the bar and the bolt holes? In other words, can you turn the frame mounts 180* and gain any clearance?

are you sure the frame mounts are equal distance between the bar and the bolt holes? In other words, can you turn the frame mounts 180* and gain any clearance?

They definitely didn't seem directional, the mount holes are identical on either side of the bracket, turning it 180* wouldn't gain anything.

I would think that worn upper arm bushings would compress toward the rear when you hit bumps and cause the axle to rotate the spring perch away from the sway bar links. I don't have any experience with it, but my feeble mind can't see them going the other way.

I would think that worn upper arm bushings would compress toward the rear when you hit bumps and cause the axle to rotate the spring perch away from the sway bar links. I don't have any experience with it, but my feeble mind can't see them going the other way.

In my head I was picturing the opposite actually. The upper bushing compressing allowing the upper control arm mounts to rotate backwards. If that happened as the spring compressed it would bulge the spring forward causing it to be closer maybe? That is all just a guess though and likely wrong ha.

I guess I can just wait and see what happens when I put the upper control arm bushings in...

Back