• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Castrol DEX/MERC Domestic Multivehicle

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
This seems like a dumb question, but is Castrol DEX/MERC Domestic Multivehicle fluid a true DEXRON III fluid, safe for use in the AW4?

I'm about to do an SYE install and want to go ahead and do a transmission filter change and flush, so I want to cover my bases. It seems as though I can also use DEX III fluid in the NP231, but ATF+4 is recommended for it (just the T-case, not the tranny).

Am I on the right page here?

Yeah, seems to be pretty common... I've heard ATF+4 recommended a lot for the 231 though (AW4, however, should stick to DEX III).

Got the answer about the mentioned Castrol product by looking around their site a bit more... It's their DEX III formula with a new name. Just got a hell of a deal on 12 quarts of it plus 3 quarts of Castrol's ATF+4: $44 out the door.

thats what i use. no problems. and you can use ATF+4 in the AW4 as well. just use the same in the t-case thats in the AW4 for simplicity.

IIRC Chrysler recommends atf +4 for all vehicles previously requiring DEX III now, there is a TSB about it. Something about its improved viscosity breakdown properties or heat dissipation, I can't remember. you should be fin using either though.

Licensed Dex/Merc III isn't around any more. Phased out.

However, you certainly can use any tranny fluid that says Dex/Merc III compatible.

I use III in both the AW4 tranny and the t-case.

Back