• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help: 1999 With Bizarre Ignition Problems

caliblues

NAXJA Forum User
I have a good friend with a 1999 Automatic XJ. The key goes in the ignition fine and works properly in all positions, unless the brake is depressed before the attempt is made to turn the key to Locked and remove it. I have tried jiggling the steering wheel (to make sure it's not locked), I made sure the tranny is in park, and still no go. The key simply freezes like the car was still in gear. BUT here's the weird part, if the car is driven around the block, then put in park (very gingerly on the brakes), then the brake must be let off for 30 seconds or so, now 9 times out of 10 the key will function normally. What gives?

Thanks

- Matt L

There is a safety interlock on the later model years transmission selector that requires you to step on the brake pedal to shift out of PARK. It is probably out of adjustment. The Factory Service Manual describes how it is connected and adjusted.

Mine is disconnected.

Back