• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need shock information

Rob Mayercik

NAXJA Member #920
NAXJA Member
Ok guys, I find myself in a pickle and need some input pronto:

Had arrangements made with a local shop to get my shackles and spacers installed (finally) to bring my '92 up to 3" lift (approx). Decided that rather than risk turning my current shocks (OME, came with 2" kit) into limiting straps, I'd get a set of OME extended travel units that reportedly are good for up to 4-5 inches.

The plan was to have the work done tomorrow, so I'd have a day or two to drive it to work to get a feel for the new height/handling before making the run to Rocktoberfest. Unfortunately, the shocks are not in - seems ARB has this habit of holding things until they can send a full container to save on shipping costs. They may not even arrive until late next week (too late to do this for the 'Fest).

The shop is going to try to nail down a more definitive timeline on the OMEs tomorrow, but in the meantime has offered up an alternative for me to consider - a set of Skyjacker Nitro shocks, whose specs supposedly are comparable to the OME units. I've been doing some searching this afternoon to see if I can figure out how good/bad these things are, but my search-fu isn't apparently that good today.

I'm looking for general impressions of the Nitros in terms of on-road ride, off-road handling, and (if anyone's tried it) how they work with OME springs on a truck that's mostly a street pounder that gets wheeled from time to time. Informaton of this sort would be of use to me in deciding whether to take a chance on the SJs or put off the work until the OMEs come in. About all I know about Skyjacker is that their springs/brackets are red, and their shocks are white.

You have the floor - my appreciation in advance.

Rob

Don't have the rear sway any more - threw it away 5 years ago.

Anyone else?

From my experience with shocks I preferred hydro shocks at <3" and Nitro's >3" to help control body roll and firm up the ride. But that is my preference and may not be yours.
Since the OME shocks you ordered are Nitros, just compare the valving between them and the Skyjackers, if they are in the same ballpark then tomato, tomatoe. -B

Good info, Boom, thanks.

Also, I've gotten new info that says the OMEs won't arrive until next Friday. Shop's opinion is that the Skyjackers are the 2nd-best option (#1 being Emu), and that while very similar, would be slightly stiffer on the street. It's down to "go ahead with the Skyjackers" and "hold off on everything and run as-is" now.

I found a little info on the valving, and it sounds similar, but I'm open to links to good performance reviews. I'll look a bit more tonight.

I'm running a set of gabriel ultra shocks for a V8 ZJ Upcountry, they work great. And bolt right in too. Decent price too.

See if that shop or another local 4x4 shop has a set of stock shocks from JK Rubicon or JK X model that they did a lift on. That stock shock is about the same size as an XJ model designed for a 3" lift. I have JK shocks on mine (3.5" Rubican Express lift) and tmy local shop sold them to me for $20 for the set of 4 after a JK was lifted and the owner confirmed he didn't want the factory set.

If you can get a set like that for about $20 it is a little insurance until the others arrive.

About all I know about Skyjacker is their......their shocks are white.

Thats pretty much it in a nutshell, SJ shocks are jsut your basic shock. While they may not be the smoothest or best or whatever, they work and will get the job done. My black jeep had simple SJ hydros or nitros (whatever the cheaper/basic one was), not the best but it did its job and served me well enough for many years.

ZJ UpCountry front and Comanche rear Monroe sensa tracs are a great option for a BB 2/3" lift too. JK take-offs are supposely good too, heard good things, no first/second experience though.

I'm running skyjacker nitro's up front with superlift coils (4.5") and gabriel ultras with dakota bastard pack iin the rear. I think they're a little stiff on the road, but wheelin' I like 'em. I have a pretty decent amount of flex due to the spring rate of the superlift coils. They are supposedly less stiff than the RE coils. Thats just my two cents. Good luck! :guitar:

Rob,
I have been running the SJ Nitros since i put the 3" lift on many thousands of miles ago. Ride is a little firm,but I like it.Finally had one start leaking 2 yrs after Moab,--173,000 miles, So I guess they last.

Ran them on the rear until I moved the mounts up and just went with an old set of stock shocks i had laying around.Probably will put a set of nitros on the rear when I think about it.

Wayne

Thanks for all the info guys - it's appreciated.

I decided to go ahead with the SJ shocks - it's not like I can't change them in the future if I don't like them.

I pick up the truck on Wednesday evening, and who knows - maybe I'll find I like the SJ ride.

Rob

Back